Vitamin C redo thread

pacmann117

Tooth-

By an odd twist of fate, it just so happens I have done a ridiculous amount of research on Vitamin C for some of my biology courses during college. Here is what I found, you might like it... others may not.

1: It is true that cnidarians produce collagen, it is a vital connection b/w the septa and their ECM (extra cellular matrix). In a nutshell it binds the tissue to skeleton in stony corals, and tissue to spicules in soft corals.
2: One of the biological molecules that copper aggressively degrades (in any concentration above NSW levels) is collagen.
3: Vitamin-C will reduces Cu+2 to Cu+1 in aqueous environments.

These three points lead my to my major theory as to why some people see definite improvement in their tanks when using Vitamin-C: Whatever non-dangerous but stressful level of copper (however it got there) is removed from solution and the corals/fish seem happier.

Some of the history as to how VC got into this hobby involves copper. VC is a great detox for fish that have gone through copper treatment and are worse for wear. Copper is found in elevated, albeit low, levels in fish blood serum after copper treatment. This fish only trick was transferred to the reef tank, and I believe this is how the whole VC thing got started.

As to the long term benefits of Vitamin-C, here's what I've found.

4: As Randy mentions in his article, VC does make a decent source for carbon dosing.
5: The addition of VC to an aqueous environment will reduce the ROS (reactive oxygen species) found in the tissues of photosynthetic corals.
6: Cnidarians can all synthesize vitamin-C from glucose naturally.

Points 4-6 lead me to my conclusion about the long term benefits of VC dosing: I don't believe any concentration of VC would be valuable to a healthy coral growing in a natural reef. I do believe that long term VC dosing may be beneficial to tanks by helping to lower nutrient levels. I think it may help corals combat thermal stress by reducing ROS levels. I also think it may be useful in tanks where non-photosynthetic corals reside which cannot manufacture their own source of glucose (source of VC synthesis).

In a nutshell, I think VC dosing may only provide long term benefits for tanks which struggle with nutrient control, temperature stability, excessive lighting, malnutrition, and excessive concentrations of conservative metals... which is pretty much everybody's tank right? As to the whole "curing disease" type claims, I think it is irresponsible to attribute such benefits for VC directly. I find it obvious (my own opinion) that dosing VC when you are experiencing a bacterial disease that damages the surface of corals will reduce bacterial growth by limiting their available nutrients, as they are being taken up by bacteria in the water column that utilize VC as a carbon source.

It's late and my brain is tired, i'll post up some other thoughts/observations I have later. I hope this gives you some food for thought, I certainly like having you here around this forum... even if you are a bit sassy :D

citations you can find on any academic e-journal site like ASP or EBSCO host
1&2:Grant A, Trompf K, Morrow P, et al. Sub-cellular damage by copper in the cnidarian Zoanthus robustus. Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology [serial online]. September 2010;152(3):256-262.
5: Blackstone N, Bivins M, Cherry K, Fletcher R, Geddes G. Redox signaling in colonial hydroids: many pathways for peroxide. Journal of Experimental Biology [serial online]. January 15, 2005;208(2):383-390.

ColaAddict

Cool. I'm curious to see if bluetooth is still here.
Pacman, I have to say, you have one of the coolest lookin Avatar!

I have just skimmed your research and it basically confirms my suspicions that there is nothing proven with regards to disease treatment/prevention but can be used for carbon dosing. I do enjoy your theory regarding the reason why VitC entered the hobby. I am excited to finish reading your articles. I happen to have an excellent resource for e-journals so I will print the rest and highlight them after lunch today.

Thank you for putting in the legwork.

pacmann117

Glad you found it interesting. I do actually think VC has a leg up on other carbon sources, I'll post that up later.

Sidenote for anyone else following along, I work at Midwest Coral Farms, and it so happens we have hundreds of bottles of promotional Brightwell Vitamin-C supplements. If anyone wants to try VC for themselves, for free, stop in and pick up a couple bottles... for free.

I'll be back later

You'll need a lot of that Brightwells to dose at a good level to promote carbon dosing.
This is according to your dosage chart which has left you among all the other issues with a phosphate issue. Is it possible that you are using the product incorrectly or that the "filler free" additive that you use is actually your problem? Have you tried a controlled experiment with another brand of "pure" buffered Vitamin C? Maybe the Brightwell product would actually work for you.

Ryan, I am very interested to hear why you think that Vit C has a leg up on the other carbon dosing sources. While I do not carbon dose, it seems to me that Vodka is the most effective/cost efficient carbon dosing source, often using one ml or less a day to keep Nitrates and Phosphates undetectable. While Vodka does not have any other benefits, it appears (according to your research) that unless you have poor husbandry techniques, or equipment problems neither does Vitamin C.

ColaAddict

I haven't done all the math, but I thought Vinegar gives you the best bang for your buck. It's only ~2 dollars per gallon and best when it comes to preventing a cyano outbreak, which happens alot with other carbon dosing. I believe it's the carbon dosing choice of Randy Holmes Farley. I use both vinegar and Vit. C in my tank.

rattyE36

Glad you found it interesting. I do actually think VC has a leg up on other carbon sources, I'll post that up later.

Sidenote for anyone else following along, I work at Midwest Coral Farms, and it so happens we have hundreds of bottles of promotional Brightwell Vitamin-C supplements. If anyone wants to try VC for themselves, for free, stop in and pick up a couple bottles... for free.

I'll be back later
I'll be doing that for sure the next time I'm in!

pacmann117

Well we have a ton of the stuff, so feel free to come and grab some Jeff. I also have pure powdered crystalline 99% purity ascorbic acid sitting around. I have nearly a Kg of the stuff, so you are more than welcome to grab some of that, as it may be better for experimentation, (There is a decent amount of sodium ascorbate on the bottom of the Brightwell containers).

Nino- Vinegar (acetic acid) is usually sold in 5% acidity, which is by volume. Compared to vodka (40% ethanol) it is only 1/8 as strong (in terms of usable carbon), and is very acidic. Randy recommends it as a Kalkwasser additive, to increase the effectiveness of the Kalk while adding a carbon source. I actually have used calcium gluconate as a carbon source and it works great (this very similar to what is formed by Kalk and vinegar) and at $30 a kg, it's dirt cheap. It really doesn't make too much of a difference though, I've used vinegar as well and it works well as a stand-alone carbon source as well.