Weird Request... Aiptasia Actually Needed!!!

IbanezIC300

Hi Guys, I know this is a weird request and I was unsure of where to post it. I am a teacher and have a student currently wanting to do research on how microbeads affect anemones. Seeing as we do not want to harm expensive decorative anemones we are looking for some Aiptasia. She would like to see if the microbeads are actually taken in by the anemones and incorporated into their tissues, like similar research has found that corals do. If anyone has any pest Aiptasia and is willing to let go of a small piece of rock with some it would be greatly appreciated, we would be willing to pay live rock prices. I can pick up pretty much anywhere in the in Chicagoland area. Thanks for your help and moderators if you feel this belongs somewhere else please feel free to move.

enzo1028

Premium member
Hi Guys, I know this is a weird request and I was unsure of where to post it. I am a teacher and have a student currently wanting to do research on how microbeads affect anemones. Seeing as we do not want to harm expensive decorative anemones we are looking for some Aiptasia. She would like to see if the microbeads are actually taken in by the anemones and incorporated into their tissues, like similar research has found that corals do. If anyone has any pest Aiptasia and is willing to let go of a small piece of rock with some it would be greatly appreciated, we would be willing to pay live rock prices. I can pick up pretty much anywhere in the in Chicagoland area. Thanks for your help and moderators if you feel this belongs somewhere else please feel free to move.
It might not be a bad idea to reach out to some of the local fish stores. They get so much rock in all the time I bet they encounter aiptasia regularly.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I agree. There's one in Bollingbrook that sticks out in my mind, it has always had some to spare when ever I've been there. Shoot me a message and I can share he name.

Smitty

Premium member
I have a bunch of micro algae(caulerpa) in my refugium with tons of them in it. I can probably send you some in the mail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maidia

Team CR
Since you are in palatine, there are some LFS near by...They have some rocks with some aiptasia..Check out 7 Seas in Mt. Prospect and some more LFS around like Xzotic Aquatic in Bensenville.

anarchy

I agree. There's one in Bollingbrook that sticks out in my mind, it has always had some to spare when ever I've been there. Shoot me a message and I can share he name.
Haha i think i know the one. Thats funny. They definitely have plenty to spare

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

enzo1028

Premium member
I'm not one to talk crap about LFS, but it is the only take away from their saltwater tanks. It's everywhere and in such incredible numbers it's amazing to see how bad it is.
It's not that surprising though if you talk to the people there. A lot of them have no idea what they are doing. When I started in the hobby they gave me so much wrong information to make some sales off of me. They lied to me about their policies and cost me several hundred dollars because I trusted their advice.

IbanezIC300

Thanks for all the responses! I did find some at a local store but if I need more I may reach out to those of you that have offered help. Thanks!

Rallos

Can you please make a thread about your project so that we can follow along? I'm sure that I'm not the only person interested in your findings. :)