What brands are you using

FlyinBryan

Hey all. Newbie here. I have a rr150, 4'x2'x2.5', I just got the aqueous model 4 sump now it's time to skim and pump it.

What brands should I use?

For the Skimmer I was looking at Aquac, octopus, swc, but cannot decide. The 'professionals' Ive talked to can't seem to come down on a single one.

Also, I'm jumping right in to a coral/fish tank. How many gph do I really need? I was thinking close to 1500 - 2000 gph, but again, can't seem to find a concensus opinion. I've seen eheim and one other one but the opinions on this vary greatly.

But I consider this to be a great place for resource and I value all input.

Thanks for your help!!

jcarlilesiu

For the Skimmer I was looking at Aquac, octopus, swc, but cannot decide. The 'professionals' Ive talked to can't seem to come down on a single one.
Im not a skimmer pro so I won't comment. I use an Eshopps PSK-150 and have been happy with it on my 150.

How many gph do I really need? I was thinking close to 1500 - 2000 gph, but again, can't seem to find a concensus opinion.
Try for 8 - 10 times turn over per hour. For a 150 gallon, shoot for a pump that is rated at 1,200 to 1,500.

Keep in mind that an head height (vertical movement of water from the pump) is going to reduce that number drastically the higher the head. The diameter of the pipe and whole hose of other factors can affect this head loss. There may be some calculators out there to calculate the friction and loss which you can use to calculate the bigger size pump you may need.

Hope this helps.

mlreef

Im not a skimmer pro so I won't comment. I use an Eshopps PSK-150 and have been happy with it on my 150.

Try for 8 - 10 times turn over per hour. For a 150 gallon, shoot for a pump that is rated at 1,200 to 1,500.

Keep in mind that an head height (vertical movement of water from the pump) is going to reduce that number drastically the higher the head. The diameter of the pipe and whole hose of other factors can affect this head loss. There may be some calculators out there to calculate the friction and loss which you can use to calculate the bigger size pump you may need.

Hope this helps.
I agree with Jake, 8-10 times and hour but get a pump that will 1,200 - 1,500 gallons an hour @ 5 or 6 ft of head since the 150 is a taller tank. I would shoot for a 2,000 gallon an hour pump to help with head loss.

Everyone that I have talked to that has had a reef octopus has been impressed at its ability to pull gunk out of the water.

Hope that this helps!

poidog

skimmer - super reef octopus
lighting - giesemann
return pump - sicce
flow pumps - vortech
heaters - ebo jager

amount of flow/gph depends on the type of livestock you are wanting to keep

jcarlilesiu

skimmer - super reef octopus
lighting - giesemann
return pump - sicce
flow pumps - vortech
heaters - ebo jager

amount of flow/gph depends on the type of livestock you are wanting to keep
I want vortechs... but I just can't complete the cut through my left arm.

FlyinBryan

Right on - thanks everyone for your responses so far. I think I'm going to order up a Reef Octopus Extreme 8" XS2000 - looks like it'l just fit into my Aqueon Proflex 4 and tank stand.

poidog - where did you get sicce? Looks like a powerful pump that will give me the turn over I'm going to need? There are no illinois dealers listed.

Next will be lights - I'm torn between the LED and the standard t5 and metal halide combo.

Thanks again!!

poidog

Right on - thanks everyone for your responses so far. I think I'm going to order up a Reef Octopus Extreme 8" XS2000 - looks like it'l just fit into my Aqueon Proflex 4 and tank stand.

poidog - where did you get sicce? Looks like a powerful pump that will give me the turn over I'm going to need? There are no illinois dealers listed.

Next will be lights - I'm torn between the LED and the standard t5 and metal halide combo.

Thanks again!!
I got all my supplies at Premium Aquatics. I was torn between LED and the MH/T5 combo too. I went with the MH/T5 combo. LED is too new to know how it will hold up, and still pricey.

gig

skimmer - Precision Marine
lighting - UVL and ATI
return pump - Sequence
flow pumps - vortech
heaters - ebo jager
controller - Neptune

WeePee

I want vortechs... but I just can't complete the cut through my left arm.
just think of the price/performance that the pumps give you. odds are they are much more cost efficient then your current setup. i have two mp10w's on my 75 and i don't think i will ever be back to using korlias again.

poidog

just think of the price/performance that the pumps give you. odds are they are much more cost efficient then your current setup. i have two mp10w's on my 75 and i don't think i will ever be back to using korlias again.
+1 once you go vortech you never go back ;)

Tangency

Regarding skimmers ...I have a reef octopus. I have never tried another manufacturer but it seems fine. A gate valve adjustment is handy.

Regarding flow ...in the sump I have enough to move water from one side to the other. It stays pretty calm. I get the majority of flow from power heads in the display. Vortech although pricey, have been really great so far.