what do you guys think of this

mr_z

thanks i think im going to order it next week ill have pics right away on my tank thread and some new corals to go with it :) maybe i want a few more opinions.

EyeReef

You can prob keep some sps high up top as well....I would research on the bulbs that it comes with and some reviews on the fixtures with those who have owned it....seems like a good deal for a fixture!

Smitty

Premium member
They have had a bad reputation with their mh fixtures in the past with electrical fires, but not with their t-5's. The bulbs that come with the fixture are mediocre, and will need to be switched out within the year. But, overall they are decent fixtures.

mr_z

i think i am going to get it. i asked for an opinion on another reef forum also and got the same as you guys that MH was problematic and t5 where good but bulbs had to be switched out within the year so as soon as i get it if i do ill post some pics thanks for you opinions guys.

Smitty

Premium member
No problem bro...yeah the only issue I had with the fixture when I had it was that the bulb colors are off.

Smitty

Premium member
If you're comfortable enough to do modifications, go for it, a lot of people seem to do it with them. :)

scotty

for the price tag, really cant be beat on that, but their bulbs are total crap, i have not read anything positive AT ALL about their bulbs, i would just take the money you saved and just buy bulbs right away.

as far as the MH go, they were doing magnetic ballasts, that got so hot they burned the housing, not exactly good, but they went to electronic ballasts and now their fine, again they cheaped out on the bulbs, do replace.

misenplace101

Nice pricing. The bulbs are not the best as for color and pars. Make sure it has fans to keep the bulbs cool for maxium performance and individual reflector will be bennificial too.

mr_z

i do plan on modding them so i can put some fans on them maybe some small fans from an old computer? the bulbs ill probably replace in like 5 or 6 months

xtlosx

Hey man, the Odyssea fixtures in general have had a bad rap for a long time now.. I myself have gone through a bunch of lighting options for my 36G bow tank.....

I first tried a coralife Power Compact fixture..... no good... I then tried a fishneedit 24" 4 bulb fixture.. My tank is too high, but for long tanks would be a great fixture. I still have it in case you want to pick it up from me, cheaper than the Odyssea... only used it for 2 weeks.

I now am the proud owner of a BoostLED 135W Mu Series fixture...... the up front cost is a little of an investment, but it ROCKS!

The knocks on these cheaper manufacturers, fishneedit, Odyssea, etc are the bulbs they come with are absolute crap. Replace those bulbs right away or you will likely be growing some nice algae with them :) The spectrums suck. The ballasts are under-driven... the Odyssea MH fixtures are certainly underpowered, as well as shitty bulbs.

For my 6G Fluval Edge reef, I have decided to also invest in the nanutuners LED fixture... Certainly not cheap, but can keep ANYTHING i want in that bad boy, the lights are intense!!

PM me if you are interested in the fishneedit it fixture.. I was going to send it back, but if someone locally wants it, would be cool.

I personally like the experience with fishneedit, Simon is a really good guy, answers quickly, ships quickly, so would recommend them. HTH you.

mr_z

hmmm i will think about it. i dont think im going to buy a fixture anytime soon. im going to keep it fowlr for about a year. thanks tho.

scotty

individual reflectors for t5's are almost a must, especially when you dont want to run 8 bulbs.