What is on my liverock?

p3nnyl3sshobo

Hey everybody,

I put together my tank awhile back and just started adding livestock, and i noticed something on my liverock thats growing. I dont have actinic lighting or anything so i was confused to what it could be. It is outlined in red.
Is this something to be concerned with, and if so what do i do with it?

Thanks!

scotty

aptasia welcome to the club.

there is a lot of discussion about them, and what people do to them.

1. if you have 1 you have more.
2. killing them with paste or a joe's juice, hit or miss.
3. few things eat only them, and not like softies or something.
4. the electric killing rod is promising.
5. they are overall harmless when small, but if they get huge, its an anemone do the math. usually the plague element to their budding is the reason people kill them.

scotty

they thrive when you don't want them to. just one of those things that almost always comes on live rock, and if you didn't get any, you are lucky.

if you are going to get rid of it, and you should, get it now before it gets bigger, and less glass like, they get harder to kill the bigger they get.

p3nnyl3sshobo

thanks for the info! i decided to just remove the rock from my tank completely. I dont like the idea of it spreading or coming back after i try to remove it.

ColaAddict

Aiptasia X worked great for me. Peppermint shrimp only eats the small ones. Copperband butterfly rarely stays alive. Berghia nudibranch is hard to find.

scotty

If they are just on the one rock, yank it and nuke it. However, if you got your rock from 1 source at the same time, pulling the rocks won't help, honestly they just become part of the maintenence routine, nothing to get crazy about.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
My Peppermint Shrimp ate two that were significantly larger than itself. But, PS are hit and miss I've heard. You can also try a little lemon juice injected into their middles with a syringe.

The reefer

I had one recently I just put hot rodi water and super glue where it was and that's it. It was also very small