WHen to add CUC

pensiveone

At what point can these be added? During cycling? After? What is the best time to add them and how many? Sorry, just a noob trying to learn! :afro:

trackfast

Princess Trainer
There are also other inverts to consider. Fighting conch, chiton's, etc. I like the cuc packs from reefcleaners.org and then I get Mexican turbo emails from somewhere else.

Ad900

Hoping for both, but I know the crabs may be a problem with wanting the snail's shells!
My experience with crabs and snails is that even with extra shells laying around... The hermits will still kill some of the snails for sport.

However, the killing of the snails has since ceased. You should go for it! In my opinion a reef should be a large variety of critters, so you can't exclude hermits :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, got to love voice to text (at least that is my guess). You also don't want to add your CUC until you start getting a film algae on your rocks, otherwise your CUC with starve.
Very good point Jon , and like Alex mentioned all them lil critters are the Coolest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Suolainen

I am just getting ready to set up my tank and am thinking of getting a CUC from reefcleaners.org. Once my tank cycles and I have some growth in the tank for them to eat would it be safe to order a whole CUC of crabs and snails or should I just start with snails and then add crabs later (or vice versa)?

qwertymo13

Most people, myself included, have gone snails only CUC. From my experience, no matter how much you feed you tank and how much empty shells you have, the hermits will always kill snails to take the shell. Emerald crabs are hit and miss with bubble algae, so I'd rather fix the issue instead of putting a crab in and risking it affecting the rest of my tank.

If I may suggest a snail to get, it's the banded trochus snails. Those things roam all over the tank, rocks and glass included, and are more hardy than turbo snails IMO.

Last edited:

Illinijoe

TeamCR
Most people, myself included, have gone snails only CUC. From my experience, no matter how much you feed you tank and how much empty shells you have, the hermits will always kill snails to take the shell. Emerald crabs are hit and miss with bubble algae, so I'd rather fix the issue instead of putting a crab in and risking it affecting the rest of my tank.

If I may suggest a snail to get, it's the banded trochus snails. Those things roam all over the tank, rocks and glass included, and are more hardy than turbo snails IMO.
Second on the trochus snails I have had a tank going for a month and so far they have kept it spotless