Who sells the best live rock in Chicago area?

Brobs7896

Title says it all, preferences please? looking for some rock to add to sump for a dead rock tank. Looking for real live rock that is as mature and pest free as possible.

labas39

I know you're looking for live rock but if you want pest free, which I think is more important, start with dry rock and let it ferment in your sump. I've added a lot of dry rock in my system in the past with no ill effects.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I know you're looking for live rock but if you want pest free, which I think is more important, start with dry rock and let it ferment in your sump. I've added a lot of dry rock in my system in the past with no ill effects.
I completely agree with this.

#theMatrix

What's avg cost per lb in terns of dry rock go for these days?

Once a system is established. ..adding dry rock is best as it will go live quickly.

goatous

BRS dry rock. Don't rush it and let it cook.
Their Pukani is more air than rock - perfect!

Aquapros has it and they have really good pieces and you have the advantage of picking it yourself, but more expensive than BRS.

#theMatrix

Get some live sand then. When you're saying yoy want to seed. ...live rock, live sand same diff sand will seed your tank. As for live rock. The best price will be a reefer getting out. Many got out this summer.

If you're not in a rush let it cycle dry.

If it's in the sump. And your not looking for scape pieces then awesome pukani or pests matter down there. Get rock rubble pieces

Live sand is usually sand with bacteria. It won't have biodiversity which would be present in good liverock. I know I would be in the minority in this, but I would consider getting something out of the ocean and properly curing it. And watching carefully for any hitchhikers that you do not want.

andrewjones50

If you're worried about hitchhiker pests, then do an ultra high salinity bath on any new live rock. Any critters living inside (good, bad, or otherwise) will hop out of the rock and you can cherry pick what you want to keep. If you dont care about sponges, which is really about the only reason a person would probably care about having legit live rock as a seed, then get some skimmate from a local reefer and seed your tank with bacteria by adding it to the water column.