zoo's and calcium

jcohen

Anyone have any idea why calcium would be so high without dosing? It's been over 500 for a long time.

I have never checked my alkalinity, but I am going to get a kit this weekend. I think that this may be the problem, because my PH is 8.3 and is always normal and everything else is fine. Salinity is 1.3

But my zoo's are doing terrible. Mushrooms stay there same puny size. The only thing that booms are the frogspawn and galaxia and green polyps.

Its like some things do great in my tank and others do terrible and I CAN NOT FIGURE IT OUT. Driving me insane.

I also have 6 fish and have had them forever - never lost one in years. ANY suggestions????

jcohen

Ha! Typo. The salinity is 1.03 (too high? could this be causing some problems?). I buy my saltwater at midwest coral farms. Any ideas why zoos and shrooms arent doing well, or why calcium is always high?

Could this have something to do with my salinity, or alkalinity? Thanks. All feedback is appreciated.

Catran

That's strange. When I bought stuff from them, it was 1.026-1.027. You're topping off with RO water and not saltwater? If you're using saltwater, you're raising your salinity by doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ColaAddict

Salinity is too high. You have to top off water with unsalted water. when your water evaporates the salt get's left behind and your salinity slowly goes up. You need to top off with unsalted water to keep salt/water concentration the same. Keep it around 1.023-1.026
You have to top of everyday to compensate for evaporation.

Catran

Salinity is too high. You have to top off water with unsalted water. when your water evaporates the salt get's left behind and your salinity slowly goes up. You need to top off with unsalted water to keep salt/water concentration the same. Keep it around 1.023-1.026
You have to top of everyday to compensate for evaporation.
Yeah it's a common mistake. I did that when I started my first tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jcohen

I usuaslly get 15 gallons, 10 R/O and 5 reef. Still doesn't explain the spike in calcium. Anyway, I am going to try and get that salinity down. thanks

Smith11

lol i did that too for my first 4 weeks with a reef tank, went from a perfect 1.025 to a 1.032 !! then i realized that salt doesn't evaporate:banghead:

SkunkerX

I did this with a brackish water tank..............probably why the snowflake eel lived a little over 10 years lol never checked the saltinity thou but wish I would of