10 gallon Nuvo

Uriel

View attachment 22126View attachment 22127

Hello Chicago!

Freshly moved into my new apartment A few blocks north of Wrigley field I started setting up an old 10 gal Nuvo tank I hadn't touched in years. I quickly ran into issues.. my Koralia, 240 GPH water pump wouldn't turn on nor would my Mag-Pump which I use primarily to mix salt.

Currently my tank is empty and waiting for some serious flow to mix my salt.

Any recommendations for local fish stores that won't charge an arm and a leg for a pump or two?
Or if anyone has a few extra pumps I'll gladly buy them from you!
I'll also need sand if anyone in the area is looking to get rid of some so I can jump start my cycle!

I look forward to being a part of Chicago Reefs, it'll make me feel like home.
(Used to be in Madison, WI and was a part of MARS for quite some time)

Cheers,
Uriel

Last edited:

GugsJr

TeamCR
Welcome to CR. I may have a small koralia power head, I'll look for it and test it later today.

For good prices Aqua Pros in Glen Ellyn, might take you an hour to get there though.

ninjamyst

Premium member
I have a Koralia Nano 425 and a Rio 800+ available for sale. I am by Monstrose / Harlem if you want to drive up and pick them up today. Will PM you.

conchman

Premium member
Welcome, newbie here to CR, not to the hobby, obsession. I replaced the socks, for the baskets in overflow. I cut Fluval foam for particulate removal in top section. Cheap to replace every other week or so. I like my IM 20, but will be upgrading to a 60 RR in the spring. Good luck...

Uriel

Thanks for the warm welcom everyone :mario:, i can already tell you guys know how to party down here win how active everyone is!

Uriel

Scape looks awesome! What are you using to start your cycle?
I'm heading home this weekend (Madison, WI) and might pick up a piece of live rock from a LFS to seed my tank.
Otherwise I was going to throw a shrimp in there which worked last time i set up this tank (the ones from grocery stores not a real one lol).

Any other suggestions? I don't necessarily want to purchase one of those "Cycle your tank with this bottle" methods.

cju84

I'm heading home this weekend (Madison, WI) and might pick up a piece of live rock from a LFS to seed my tank.
Otherwise I was going to throw a shrimp in there which worked last time i set up this tank (the ones from grocery stores not a real one lol).

Any other suggestions? I don't necessarily want to purchase one of those "Cycle your tank with this bottle" methods.
Yep you can throw a raw shrimp in there to start it.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I like the aquascape but I prefer less rock these days. lol And I would use raw shrimp for starting the cycle. You can grind it up for more surface area; it'll breakdown faster.

conchman

Premium member
Another vote for drowned shellfish (shrimp). Last 60 I used seed rock and shrimp, we left for dinner and came back to a serious smell, got talked to about that one...