100g acrylic

kurens

i cycled with cured LR and some fish food.
here are my numbers as for today after 7weeks.

api tests
ph-8.0
sal-1.026
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
temp-79

elos test
Ca-460mg
Mg-1250mg
Alk-8dKH

should i rise ph?

ColaAddict

Do you have Magnesium supplement? Your mag is just a tad low. When you start stocking corals, they will absorb the mag pretty fast and that can screw up your calcium and pH numbers. Coraline algae also eats up alot of mag once they start populating your rocks. Mag should be atleast 1300. Your pH is fine, and it will change throughout the day.

kurens

dont have any magnesium supplements,to make sure let me test it again because it was my first time with elos tests.what can i use to rise mg?
thanks

ColaAddict

I use Kent brand. If you are gonna have alot of corals, you will need to dose magnesium, as it will get used up. Unless you are planning on doing frequent water changes, which for a tank as big as yours you might eventually get lazy to do. As long as your nitrites/phos are low to zero, you don't really need to do frequent water changes, but you will need to replenish the calcium/magnesium in your tank.

scotty

The way the numbers go - and I hope everyone agrees - it doesn't matter specifically what your numbers as long as you stay consistant on your trace elements and spgravity, and I mean constant, you will see the other numbers fall into place as the system matures. When you get a comment like mag needs to be 1300, all that really means is its worked for him, therefore shoot arround there and keep it constant, nothing likes numbers bouncing everywhere.

Ph should resolve itself with your core numbers 0 and trace elements constant either through a dose chemical or water change is the bottom line. Every single one of the good tanks on this site have researched extensively, and I know cause we've talked, I recommend a visit to a library in your future.

scotty

The way the numbers go - and I hope everyone agrees - it doesn't matter specifically what your numbers as long as you stay consistant on your trace elements and spgravity, and I mean constant, you will see the other numbers fall into place as the system matures. When you get a comment like mag needs to be 1300, all that really means is its worked for him, therefore shoot arround there and keep it constant, nothing likes numbers bouncing everywhere.

Ph should resolve itself with your core numbers 0 and trace elements constant either through a dose chemical or water change is the bottom line. Every single one of the good tanks on this site have researched extensively, and I know cause we've talked, I recommend a visit to a library in your future.

ColaAddict

Scotty's right, whatever works for your tank. However, these creatures that we pulled out of the ocean and placed in our tank have evolved for thousands of years to match the parameters and lighting and food in the ocean, so the closer we keep the numbers to the numbers of the ocean, the longer and happier their lives will be.

kurens

i double tested it mg today and its 1300,i bought kent tech m just in case to rise it.... i can see today lot of green and pink stuff on my rocks(hope its coralline) and a liitle bit of hair algea also:(

scotty

natural progression in the tank. keep the hair short if you don't have something in there eating it, usually they don't eat it when it gets long.

coralline comes in so many colors, purple usually stays but ive seen blue/green/orange/red with purple and pink bieng the prominent ones. i had every single color when i first got my rock, it all died except purple.

ColaAddict

Tangs will bulldoze those hair algae before you can say "Tang" but you don't want tangs as your first fish because they get territorial. How bout some turbo snails, don't get alot and don't get the giant mexican ones, because if you plan on getting frags, they will just keep knocking those down. You can get get a few now and when the algae's gone, you can move them to your refugium or give em away.

kurens

Its been 7 months from last post and we got some $$ to win so i owe a little update.lol
Tank is going through 72 blackout right now(1 more day left :) because i got problem with diatoms from very begining-still dont know what cause it.
I got 30 gallons ready for WC
Hope my sand will look much better afterwards.
Will post pic on weekend!