125 gallon tank build

cromag09

I am working on setting up a new tank, I have a few questions and was wondering everyones thouht. The tank has duel over flows and returns. What is the best way to plumb the tank? Should I plumb both sides into their own sump? I think I can fit 2 30 gallon sumps in ther stand.is this over kill? The store I got the tank from recommended a single 30 gallon sump that has a spot in the middle for a protein skimmer the refuge was on on side and the returm was on the other. The guy told me that I would need to have the overflow drain into both the skimmer and return, then pump the water over to the refuge. Does this sound right?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Too much sump isn't really a concern. It really can't be overdone. The more sump the more the total water volume and better off you'll be. dual 30s would give you more option as far as space and setting one up for skimmer and the other for a fuge. They'd likely both need to be connected together using bulkheads and plumbing so they both have the same water levle and a single return pump.