125 heater recommended

Mark1313

For a friend, 125 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
Was using a 100w and a 75w. The 75 gave out this evening.
Maybe a simple Google answer? I'd rather hear from someone with experience. I have no clue, I'm an inexperienced nano guy.
Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mikenh77

For a friend, 125 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
Was using a 100w and a 75w. The 75 gave out this evening.
Maybe a simple Google answer? I'd rather hear from someone with experience. I have no clue, I'm an inexperienced nano guy.
Thank you

Well I have a 125 gallon reef with a 55 gallon sump. I've been using the same 300w heater for maybe 4 years now and have a spare 250w just in case. In winter I keep my place at 70 to 73 depending on how broke I'm feeling... and it has always kept my tank right at the 78 I set it at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mark1313

Well I have a 125 gallon reef with a 55 gallon sump. I've been using the same 300w heater for maybe 4 years now and have a spare 250w just in case. In winter I keep my place at 70 to 73 depending on how broke I'm feeling... and it has always kept my tank right at the 78 I set it at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike. Welcoming any replies, I'll forward them on. The tank size makes it way beyond my very minimal experience.

madjoe

Premium member
I wouldn’t go with anything less then 300w . And a good titanium one . If you go smaller it may work but have to be on longer which makes it work harder and die faster . I run a 300 and a 500 w one in case on fails . The 500 is over kill but got good deal on it so its in there lol. Most heaters say on packages what sizes they good for good rule of thumb is take what they recommend and go up one step .

goat585

Administrator
I run ebo Jager heater only. I feel they are the most reliable heater in the market. In my fish room I have run up to 20-30 at a time and rarely have an issue. For that size tank I would probably go with a 300 watt or two 150's depending on how cool your room gets that has the tank in it. If you are in a basement sometimes you need a bigger heater.

Mark1313

Thank you all. I'll see him today and pass it all on. I know his tank is in the basement also.