125g or 110gXH and why?

SMACKERS4

Have the option to go with a 6ft 125 vs the 110 i have. heres my dilemma

I have a 25y/o 110XH 48x18x30 that i have to brace, drill, install an overflow, build a canopy, and all cost associated with said plans as i don't possess drill bits, overflow or plumbing, wood, or glass. i expect it will cost me around $200 to get this done.

i have the opportunity to pick up a 3y/o oceanic reef ready (black silicone) 125g 72x18x22 for double the price. ~$400 and we are talking tank, stand, canopy, all furniture grade, lighting, sump (which i have no use for) and other misc items.

My question is why 125 over the 110 or why 110 over 125...obviously bigger is better, but i think both tanks have characteristics worth noting.

Also, for those of you who have owned a 125g, how did you like it? i almost feel like the tank height may be too short, i have a 55 now and am always bending to look at it when i am in front of it......and i think they are about the same height.....

PS all my equipment is compatible for either set up BTW

Thanks!

goat585

Administrator
I have had a 125 in the past and abosolutelty would go with that over the 110. The 30" of height is a nightmare to deal with. The first time you drop a frag in the 110 or need to clean the glass it will be a giant pain in the butt. My current tank is 24" tall and it can be difficult to deal with at times. Personally I would never go any taller than 24" unless the tank was big enough I can climb in it.

steveo9043

+1 on the height.

will this be a reef or FOWLR?

Either way i would go 6ft wide. It has the same depth and would rather have more horizontal space then height.

sparky5785

I have a 6' 125 now and love it. The exyra foot of length opens up more tangs that are suitable for the tank which I like. Also if you are worried about bending to look in the tank buy some 2x12's or similar and plywood and build yourself a pedestal the same footprint as the stand and place the stand on top of it thus raising the tank to eye level yet still being easy to maintain. You can paint it to match the stand so it looks nice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

steveo9043

This would be primarily reef tank with some fish
I still think I would go with the 6ft'r. but It's all on preference. I don't know what lighting you have or would end up getting but 30in deep would need some powerful lighting to get to the bottom. 6ft would give you a longer rock scape with more sand bed as well. It would also give more room for territorial fish to make there claim.

SMACKERS4

my only concern is that i wont be happy with how tall the tank is..its basically the same height as my 55g! i have worked in a 210 before 72x24x29, and i think the height benefits outweigh the maintenance difficulty. but i really wanted opinions of others just to see if there is anything i havent thought of...plus its nice to bounce ideas off peeps.

SMACKERS4

Thanks everyone for the input, you guys were a great help in the decision i made! i went with the 125 setup!