12gallon nano jbj impulse buy....

Sooooo I was on my every so often lfs bounce around Saturday and came across new in box jbj 12gal led systems for 150$. Couldn't say no considering I have a extra coralia nano and a 100 watt heater sitting here..... Bought 15 lbs of live sand and am debating setting it up stock... What kinds of filter media is everyone running with lps and zoas are you guys ditching the bio balls carbon or ceramic rings? Adding fllter floss at the intake before the sponges running purigen nano skimmers ect.. ... Lighting good enough for some basic stuff? Or who sells mod retro fit kits or parts for a DIY ? And suggestions previous experiences welcome. Looking forward to a mini simple reef in the bedroom

Well just picked up 20lbs of dry rock at aquapros. Great prices really good porous rock super happy! Also got a Duncan frag for 15$ for the 93 cube and some bone cutters to frag from main display to my nano. So far I designed and drilled and washed the rock scape watching the game letting it dry. Then time for install and pics.

Also got a maxijet 900 while I was there to upgrade the return pump and a few bags of purigen and phosbn along with filter floss to complete the filter a upgrade for now... Prolly going to order the media basket from that Intank website but I don't plan on a heavy bio load and I think its a rip off at 39$ so will prolly change water every 10 days and see how she goes for now
Pics coming soon

tinman

Sooooo I was on my every so often lfs bounce around Saturday and came across new in box jbj 12gal led systems for 150$. Couldn't say no considering I have a extra coralia nano and a 100 watt heater sitting here..... Bought 15 lbs of live sand and am debating setting it up stock... What kinds of filter media is everyone running with lps and zoas are you guys ditching the bio balls carbon or ceramic rings? Adding fllter floss at the intake before the sponges running purigen nano skimmers ect.. ... Lighting good enough for some basic stuff? Or who sells mod retro fit kits or parts for a DIY ? And suggestions previous experiences welcome. Looking forward to a mini simple reef in the bedroom
Dang that's awesome

What store has a 12 jbj for $150 ??

zero742

As far as lighting mods go, I had really great luck with steve's led's. I've got them in a 14gal Biocube. My corals look spectacular and grow much faster than in my tank with the stock lights. Good luck!

Neebles

Check out nanoboxreef.com. Dave makes custom led lights w/ custom fixtures. He can also make lights to be retrofit into current/stock fixtures. They aren't cheap, but they are custom, handmade and come with either a corallux or bluefin controller...

ReefFanatic

Great pick up! Love mine.

As far as mods go here's my list:

-upgrade hood with Steve's LED retrofit kit (spectacular spectrum)
-InTank media basket (filter floss, then purigen, then Chemipure)
-vortech mp10
-jager aquarium heater with finnex digital controller

That's all I can remember just looking at it. Still planning to upgrade the return but for now I just put a foam block between the pump and glass to quiet it down. Works like a charm and the tank is silent. Weekly routine consists of replacing floss, siphoning detritus, and doing about a 3-5 gallon water change (depending how much I siphon out). Probably the easiest setup to maintain. Being a full-time student and working part-time the tank is a breeze. Acros and montis growing like crazy too.