1450 ml of Alk in 24 hrs

jm23

I have read all the articles by Randy and searched the forums for any ideas that might explain what is going on with my tank but I am baffled. 10 weeks ago I restarted my 265 gallon DT and 80 gallon FT with new Dry Rock and Sand. Before the restart I was dosing about 144 ml of each part a day (using dosers 24x a day via Apex), I lost quite a few SPS to AEFW (thus the restart) so my coral load is much less now. For the last several weeks I have had the hardest time keeping my levels stable. Last night I decided to not dose for 24 hrs and see what the consumption on the tank was and try and figure this problem out. Well within 2 hrs my Alk dropped 1 dkh to 7.0, so I dosed Alk to get it back up and 2 hrs later same deal. In the last 22 hrs I have added 1450 ml of the Alk portion of BRS 2 Part and have been unable to keep my Alk from dropping to the low 7's. My calcium last night was 480 (a little too high) and magnesium 1550 using red sea test kits. I just tested again and my Alk was 7.0, Cal 420, and Mag 1440. I haven't dosed Cal or Mag in 22 hrs only Alk to keep it above 7 dkh.

Any ideas? I am exhausted trying to keep these parameters stable. Thankfully all my corals are growing great and coloring up despite this issue. Coralline is growing and starting to cover the rocks. I have film algae on the glass and covering the rocks as well, only a little hair algae. My only idea is the new rocks and sand, but I have been dosing this heavily for the last couple weeks. Thanks in advance.

rockhead

Have you done a test on your doseing pump to make sure it's putting what you are requesting, I also use the BRS 2 part and im dosing 135ml daily on 150 gal, how long has the tank been up and running, and what test Kit are you using?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
1.4L is just not right for 24hr, unless it's stuffed full of stoney corals. What about the BRS 2 part, is mixed correctly, maybe it's new batch you've been using for this couple week period? Are you excessivly wet skimming? How's your pH; stable, very high or very low? Are you seeing any excess CA percepitation/buildup in pumps or in the dosing area? Was it a even ramp up to get to dosing this much or maybe there was a sudden change at some point?

For a sanity check it might be worth a quick trip to Aquatica to have them double check your ALK test results.

jm23

have you tried a different alk test kit?
I opened a brand new Red Sea kit, so same brand new kit, but exact same results.

Have you done a test on your doseing pump to make sure it's putting what you are requesting, I also use the BRS 2 part and im dosing 135ml daily on 150 gal, how long has the tank been up and running, and what test Kit are you using?

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk
My first thought was the doser pumps a couple weeks ago, so I ran vinegar through them to clean them up. Yesterday the dosing was all by hand, so no dosing pumps were involved. The tank has been up for probably 10 weeks now.

1.4L is just not right for 24hr, unless it's stuffed full of stoney corals. What about the BRS 2 part, is mixed correctly, maybe it's new batch you've been using for this couple week period? Are you excessivly wet skimming? How's your pH; stable, very high or very low? Are you seeing any excess CA percepitation/buildup in pumps or in the dosing area? Was it a even ramp up to get to dosing this much or maybe there was a sudden change at some point?

For a sanity check it might be worth a quick trip to Aquatica to have them double check your ALK test results.
BRS is mixed correctly. The BRS mix is a new 5 gallon bucket, but it still increases my Alk when I put it in, so I doubt the instability is due to the BRS mix. Not wet skimming. pH is stable from 8.05 to 8.25 without Alk pushing it up to 8.35 with these big doses. Yes I am seeing CA buildup in the dosing area, but I contribute that to dumping 200 ml of Alk in there at a time, otherwise with the dosing pumps there was very little build up if any. The ramp up to dosing this much has pretty much been steady since transferring everything over.

I am going to run to Aquatica and get them to test the water. I did another test and for some reason my Cal increased overnight from 420 to 430 (could be user error, but it didn't drop) and my Alk dropped from 7.3 to 6.8 dkh. I am going to test again in a few hours and see if things are stabilizing. Any ideas on why my Cal wouldn't drop, but my Alk continues to drop? Thanks guys for brainstorming with me.

jm23

Back from Aquatica and got the same results (though their API kit said my Cal was 460). Mario is of the opinion that my rocks are absorbing all of it and that one they get covered in coralline they will stop. I have read this before that you need a bio film on the rocks to prevent them from absorbing cal and alk, but I think I am past that stage already. Mario told me to just keep dosing the way I am and to monitor my levels. I know I am not the only one to start with dry rock, so anyone have experience with this before?

Back from Aquatica and got the same results (though their API kit said my Cal was 460). Mario is of the opinion that my rocks are absorbing all of it and that one they get covered in coralline they will stop. I have read this before that you need a bio film on the rocks to prevent them from absorbing cal and alk, but I think I am past that stage already. Mario told me to just keep dosing the way I am and to monitor my levels. I know I am not the only one to start with dry rock, so anyone have experience with this before?
never had that kinda problem but we have always used Quik Start on dry rock soaking for a day or 2 and in the tank in less then 2 weeks color has changed and there loaded with bacteria . Surprised no one mentioned that to you Jon when you started the rock
P.S. you can always add a 1/2 dose of quick start to get a coating on the rock and jumpstart the process GL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
With your answers, you covered all the reason I know for excess ALK consumption. I am a little surprised with that low of ALK your pH gets to 8.35 unless you have very well ventilated room without much co2 in the air. If the ALK usage was a slow ramp, it’s hard to say it’s anything other than what you tank truly wants to use, but it still seems like a lot.

‘Any ideas on why my Cal wouldn't drop, but my Alk continues to drop”
There is vastly much more CA in the water. CA does drop but there is some much more it takes longer to see a dramatic drop as compared to ALK.

Started with dry rock myself, I never saw an unexpected increase or excess amount of ALK usage. I would have to agree with Mario, keep up the dosing. It doesn’t sound like you have much choice.

SkullV

How far apart are you dosing each compound? It can precipitate out of solution and just look like sand/detritus if they get too close together. Also, check your sandbed for big clumps of sand. Sometimes the extra carbonate actually starts turning your sand into essentially rock.

jm23

never had that kinda problem but we have always used Quik Start on dry rock soaking for a day or 2 and in the tank in less then 2 weeks color has changed and there loaded with bacteria . Surprised no one mentioned that to you Jon when you started the rock
P.S. you can always add a 1/2 dose of quick start to get a coating on the rock and jumpstart the process GL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
My tank is cycled, I used Dr Tim's One and Only to jump start it, though it still took 2 weeks. The tank has been running for 8 weeks since my cycle completed.

With your answers, you covered all the reason I know for excess ALK consumption. I am a little surprised with that low of ALK your pH gets to 8.35 unless you have very well ventilated room without much co2 in the air. If the ALK usage was a slow ramp, it’s hard to say it’s anything other than what you tank truly wants to use, but it still seems like a lot.

‘Any ideas on why my Cal wouldn't drop, but my Alk continues to drop”
There is vastly much more CA in the water. CA does drop but there is some much more it takes longer to see a dramatic drop as compared to ALK.

Started with dry rock myself, I never saw an unexpected increase or excess amount of ALK usage. I would have to agree with Mario, keep up the dosing. It doesn’t sound like you have much choice.
Yeah you're right about me not really having a choice. My question about calcium stems from the fact that it did drop to 430ish and has stayed at that level while my Alk has continued to drop repeatedly. I have a feeling some weird relationship between the calcium and alkalinity is going on right now due to how much 2 part I have dumped in. I am debating doing a 50% water change and see if that helps restore balance.

How far apart are you dosing each compound? It can precipitate out of solution and just look like sand/detritus if they get too close together. Also, check your sandbed for big clumps of sand. Sometimes the extra carbonate actually starts turning your sand into essentially rock.
Ted, I definitely was having this issue at first with my sand clumping up even though my dosing was 45 minutes apart. Now the sand is fine. I know some of it is precipitating out due to the high volume of alkalinity I am dumping in to maintain the demand level, but for the most part I am not seeing any build up on my heaters unless I dump the solution there.

SkullV

Could be your Mag reading is off too. Although, when my 75g was packed full with SPS I was dosing WAY over the max recommended amount of Reef Fusion 2 part. Nothing bad ever happened and growth was insane.