15 gallon zero edge hex

saltysweet1

Well this is the story. I always wanted to have a zero edge. I just thought it would be cool to look at. So I found one. A 15 hex. Well it had the tank and the stand. No pumps,light or anything else. I had an idea how I wanted this tank to be set up when I first seen it. The sump was small but big enough to do what I wanted to do. The down tube witch it looked like.would hold bio balls now filled with live rock. View attachment 22871
Now that the water runs threw the live rock down into the sump I put a small 4 inch wall up and with more live rock and chato that is growing under a led light . The water then flows threw to the other side of the sump where I have a big h2o pro skimmer. Rated at over 100 gallon tank. But ran at low speed and might put on a timer if i ad my RKL .Now I wanted to run all DC pumps so I also have a ecotech vectra s1 for return pump. Since the stand is all acrylic I use all the stick on cable tie holders to neatly run all my wires under the stand and from the controllers on the door of the stand. Space is at a premium so I I didn't want to have to struggle with wires in the way during any work on the tank.
View attachment 22897
View attachment 22872View attachment 22873
I hard plumed all the connections and have a one valve after the outlet of the pump. It's nice because of the pu p stops almost no water runs back into the tank. I did have to cut the top of the sump a bit to fit my skimmer but it does fit in the sump. I did first have a little bit of a water fall sound coming from the back of the tank but with the use of some foam pads I got it quiet. Just one problem I do get some micro bubbles into the tank from the out put of the skimmer since there is no bubble wall. I did put a 90 on the return inlet as close to the bottom as possable but i still get them. As of now the tank is 2 months old. View attachment 22874View attachment 22875
I run the vectra pump about half way in speed. Set a a return pump. Though I used this pump think I could put it in reef crest mode since in a zero your return is your only flow. But the problem being when my skimmer is the water lever changes with pump speed.if I could only use a bigger sump lol isn't that always the issue? Now I noticed I should of went the next size up for more flow. But I figured 1400 gph at head that would be the top edge would be closer to maybe 800gph at full speed but it still doesn't shoot the water out of the tank like I would want for really high flow.but I do have the flow adjusted for very minimal shutter in the falling water for a clear veiw. It didn't come with a light stand so I cut and bent oNE for my aqua illumination Vega light using 3/8 plexi. Though it does bend slightlyfrom the weight so the light isn't straight so I'm going to remake it with 3/4 View attachment 22876
I have the lighting controller and my auto top off display on the outside so I can see what's up at all times View attachment 22877
Over all its a cool tank. My clown swims on the top and plays with my now.lol he is like a dog and waits for food. I plan on added more coral after it settles in some more. The rock is all tonga branch rock for better flow from the center out in the tank. I tried to get nice even flow in all corners when placing the rocks. And the angel loves all the passways. Though he isn't staying. He is just in there for now to deal with some of the algea growing from the new tank set up. He has been doing a good job so far. The rocks had the bubble and other algae from my other set up. My ro setup went out of wack putting out 150 ppm with out me noticing on top off and had an outbreak of all sorts of stuff. So I'm shutting that system down. And moved what I wanted to the zero edge. So far I love the tank. The dam snails love to jump over edge and end up in the sump though. Is a pain to dig them out everytime. I need to make a grate on the hole in the back to keep them from falling in. Lol but in all its a cool tank

Last edited: