180g build

jfuka78

Picked up the tank yesterday. Built the stand tonight. Hopefully bring the tank from the garage down to basement tomorrow night.

jfuka78

Finally enough water in the system. 7 bags of reef crystals. Pulled skimmer off one system and put on the new system to help clear water out, along with pulling the dual brs. Put fresh carbon in and running. Now the issue will be how ling my heater will take to heat everything up.
Once temp is good hopefully tomorrow, then I can put some seed rock in.

jfuka78

Eventually, when I get to basement build out. Probably tile, not sure yet. Long time before then.

jfuka78

Click on image for video

Special thanks to Booyah for loaning me some clowns to start cycle on my tank.

jfuka78

I will mention bulb this weekend.

Right side my old phoenix, left new bulb in linen bright

Left side bright right is arc. Both with new bulbs. I am running two different reflectors to see which gets me better growth.

Camera phone pictues, much better in person

jfuka78

Thank you Fiji blue for letting me use the par meter and the prism thing that I am still not sure how to read.

First thing I noticed is lumenarc's, well hate to say, but they SUCK. (based on initial par readings

So first thing i did was change out the lumenarc and put my other lumenbright in.

Originally the lights were around 16" up and noticed my par was not the best so I lowered the lights so the glass was about 3" off of the water

All measurements are as close to center of tank as i can get on front to back.
Because I do have an acrylic tank with euro bracing there is a loss in certain areas that wouldn't be with a standard glass tank this being said here are my numbers

all numbers are from water level down roughly ( I did not break out a ruler)

Left Light
1'' 1100 par
8'' 830 par
12'' 550 par
Top of sand bed 250
to the left by my meteor shower 200 par
to the right center by my blue/green ( Bad *** acro) 360 par

Right light
1'' 1000 par
8'' 830 par
15'' 530
Top of sand bed 300 par
to the right but center 200 par
to the left but center 400 par

When lights were at 14'' height
1'' under 760 par
12'' under 370 par
sand bed 200 par

the prism meter he gave me

showed all the colors from red to purple 650-420

When i used the same instrument to look at the radiums they only went to the blue band around 500.

One thing I can say is my corals in just the couple days have really colored up compared to before. One frag that well pretty much turned brown in my tank but in store was awesome red and orange acro, I noticed is getting its orange back. my red planet is getting its green back also.

This is still a wait and see how they will last long term, but for now they are great and finally a bulb for us 250 De reefers.

If anyone would like to see these lights you can email me at jfuka78@gmail.com

jfuka78

Somebody asked so here is how my lights are mounted. I used alm extruded square channel with notches. Thu way my lights can slide out if the way for maintenance and or if some other corals need more light. I manage a recycling company so I get lots a stuff to play with. All the alm, stainless I could need.

I once thought how well an old bleacher would work for a led heat sink?

jfuka78

Reactor is dialed in now and maintaining 10 dkh and 440 cal for a week now.

How often does do some of you switch out the gfo in the reactor and people with the bigger systems how much gfo do you run in the reactor is there such a thing as to much?

I started with half of what the bulk reef supply calculator told me. I now only use 3/4 of what they say to and I change it when I start getting algae on the glass 2-4 weeks. Make sure you just have a gentle tumble on the surface that keeps it from breaking down.