1990JPYP's-5.5g AIO Nano build

1990JPYP

Ok so I am going to be starting a new Nano. My old 10g got a crack in it so I shut it down knowing that at some point I will set it back up. Now I think that I would like to go with something a bit smaller cuz of the location that is is going on. So here is what I have for plans:

Aqueon 5.5g Tank
5#'s white sand
Aquaruim sealant
12"x24" Black Plexi-glass sheet
Maxi-Jet 600
50 watt heater
15#'s of dry LR from the 10g that I will use some of.

The only thing as far as equipment goes that I am not sure of is the lighting.
My thought is some Leds. Rapid LED has a 6 led kit that seems to be the right price. But I am open to anybodys ideas/suggestions, so please share.

I do have a question on setting this thing up as I want it to be an AIO. I have drawn up my 2 ideas. If someone has a better one or would like to fix any issues that I have with it I would appreciate it.
See below:

1990JPYP

I like the first on better but after drawing it out I am kind of liking the idea of #2.

My plans are for a Zoa/Softy tank. The GF loves Zoas so I am going to fill it with some nice Zoas and maybe some Rics.

Please share your thoughts. Once this thing gets building I will take lots of pictures. As of now its just some basic hardware.
Thanks
CM

Hey there looks like a great setup! I'd go with the first plan. Though off completely to the left or right would work as well leaving you with more of a square DT area (well, not really square, but more square than rectangle with the filtration encompassing the entire back of the tank).

A fuge is a great idea. Chaetomorpha really helps stabilize such a small volume of water and also helps with the pod population. I'm using a modified AC70 for a fuge. It works great if you want a HOB option. I started out using it on my three gallon picotope that I had running for a year and a half.

One thing to consider. When you're dealing with such a small volume of water, evap is going to be a big issue. A reliable ATO is a must on tanks smaller than a 5.5. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I used a 1 liter hamster bottle modified to serve as a gravity fed top off system (just take out the little balls at the end). With no moving parts it's about as reliable as you can get.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching!

1990JPYP

Hey there looks like a great setup! I'd go with the first plan. Though off completely to the left or right would work as well leaving you with more of a square DT area (well, not really square, but more square than rectangle with the filtration encompassing the entire back of the tank).

A fuge is a great idea. Chaetomorpha really helps stabilize such a small volume of water and also helps with the pod population. I'm using a modified AC70 for a fuge. It works great if you want a HOB option. I started out using it on my three gallon picotope that I had running for a year and a half.

One thing to consider. When you're dealing with such a small volume of water, evap is going to be a big issue. A reliable ATO is a must on tanks smaller than a 5.5. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I used a 1 liter hamster bottle modified to serve as a gravity fed top off system (just take out the little balls at the end). With no moving parts it's about as reliable as you can get.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching!
I love the idea of the Auto-top off. Gonna pick up a bottle as soon as I can. I am gonna start to build this thing up this weekend so everyone look for the up coming pictures. I am going to keep the fuge as it is going to be my main source of filtration. Once a month I might run some carbon in a HOB filter ive got.

1990JPYP

Ok so I went with the second design. I am trying to figure out how high I should make the baffle. Any body got any thoughts?
As of right now I am thinking of 7" but not 100% thoughts???

1990JPYP

Quick up-date:

Got it all put together. Cleaning it out now and I will post up some pics once I get this thing Cycling.

1990JPYP

Filled with water and sand.- Took out some Cheato from the 55g and I got a small rock sitting in the 55g so I get some GOOD Stuff in the tank.

45* shot with some rock. Dont mind the junky fixture on top its mainly for the pictures.

FTS- Not sure how I like the aquascape but Im gonna wait til morning before i mess with it again.

Ive got quit a bit more Dry rock sitting in a bucket that I might put in but idk yet.

Also Im looking for ideas for the lighting- I like the Idea of LED's but I have no idea how to pick them or even pick how many.

Enjoy.