225 drilled. acrylic with side overflows reef build.

saltysweet1

Ok now this thread might not be the prettiest but I will try my best during all the updates to keep it neat. Now with that said let's gets things going by how this all started. About a year and a half ago I picked up my first little reef tank. Five gallons. Nothing to big simple light simple hang on back filter. I was hooked on it . Watching it playing with it, modding and tweaking it. Before I knew it this five gallon tank I prided 60 bucks for I just put another five hundred into. Had a rocky start. Things died but I learned from my mistakes. So I wanted bigger so I got a nano cube. It's a nice tank but still needed bigger so I set up a 58 gallon. Things were good for a while but everything that out grew all the tanks before that are doing it again. So I wanted bigger. Was looking at 125-175 but couldn't find what I liked. Then I ran across a guy selling a 225 acrylic with everything for a cheap price. So I got it. Nowthe plan here when the tank is up and running to move all livestock from my 28 nnano cube and the 58 but leave the five gallon up and running. So the tank has to be up and running and cycled. Now to the fun part .

The tank :225 gallon 72/24/30 acrylic with side trapazoid overflows.
Sump: will explain later custom built.
Return pump : gen x
Lighting : mix of. Different led set ups.
Circulation: either vortex mph60 two mph40s or closed loop
I really what a closed loop set up and thought about doing all the plumbing in the huge overflows for the closed loop. Then just need a flow switching device. I think it would be less trouble over years of use then say a vortec. And with the overflows being on the two side walls opposite of one another it leaves way the. Water flows way open to change and at different levels with out effecting flow to the filter.
Now the sump is a mix of two different filtered both but CPR. The cy 294 with two big built in skimmers and the biggest wet dry with sump they make. Well since both of the two different filters had a bio media chamber I'm nodding them to flow as one big filter starting with the inlets at the skimmers then wall of s chamber for the pump and return for my three foot uv sterilizer then from there into the fuge that measures 12/16/24 . Then into the 25 gallon sump that has to be turned to fit with the other pieces in the stand. It all fits. Next is dry plumbing it. And figure out if I do the closed loop. Those overflows make it so tempting. I'm doing so extra bracing to the stand and adding a bottom sheet so I can insulate the filter from the floor. Will help with noise and if there is leak. That is just to start with. Then have to polish the tank repaint the stand . Make the lighting and mod the canopy . And brace the floor of the house for the weight of a small sports car in my family room. Doing this with a full time job, side work, being a dad to my two kids on weekends and just slacking off in general this might take a few weeks to do. Ill keep you updated. Any ideas suggestion I will listen two. Ill be looking for any om device or matching pumps.or I might do the vortecs if the price is right for what I need.

saltysweet1

View attachment 10066
Ok here is an update I tried to attach pics but not sure if it worked but here is we're I'm at. Ok when I got the tank it only had a CPR cr 3000 wetdry filter that had a separate 20 gallon sump. And also had a small aqua clear skimmer underrated fir this tank. Well I had a buddy that had the cy294 cyclone bio filter never used I got cheap. Figure two six inch skimmers will work and has separate tanks for each skimmer so I can adjust or just shut one down if I'm over skimming. Water will flow in the modded cy 294 and then into the modded cr 3000 wetdry area that will the walled off for a fuge then to the sump. Its a tight fit under the stand and I have to turn the sump sideways and drill new holes but in ok with that. Just the added water volume of using it all like this will be a big bonus.

saltysweet1

Well after a little thought about this and how I was planing flow threw the filter I need to make changes to original plans. The problem is the refugium. If I have it in the center the flow threw it would be way to fast. Second with the 40 watt uv I need to move water past the lamp at over 2000gph for reef use. Now I could run the uv in line on the return but I'm thinking something different. In the chamber after the skimmer will be the pump for the uv flowing the needed 2000 gph past the fuge back into the sump at the other end. Now this will take getting certain pumps with certain rating to get the flows right and can fine tune with ball valves. So I'm going to have to plumb it first and figure out the max flow I can get out of the rest of the system. And also I can maximize my turn over rate which in order to do this will be over 8 times an hour. Well at least I hope. And I need to calculate water volume in the filter and new dedicated fuge section after I install the baffles . Next week I should have my sheet of black plexiglass so I can cut all the pieces. You guys are going to love my plan for the fuge light. With a few wood templates and a little router work I can use the existing lids that covered the old bio chambers and have a nice tight bright waterproof light. And so you guys know I work in a fab shop and can build anything I can dream of. Wood , metal, plastic even fabrics but those are not needed here. Oh and I know electronics lol. So my build should get more interesting as time goes by and this is the forth tank I have at my house right now though I'm taking down two and only keeping my five gallon reef oh I forgot about my one gallon fish bowl reef lol so that's five tanks. But this one I'm going for a tank I barely need to take care of and spend more time watching things grow and move around. I even figured out an auto interchange system that I would only need to mix the water before use. My garage is on the backwall to the tank so I plan on plumbing my auto top off threw the wall but that got me thinking and I hate carrying buckets of water around My house. And the stuff I build at work with timers and controllers is crazy sometimes.