240 Gallon Build

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I’ve moved, got a new tank, realized it wasn’t big enough for me, and now have a new tank in my possession. Stay tuned for my next build…….72 X 32 X 24.

I had this tank made by Crystal Dynamics about four months ago and it showed up today.

Now I have to get it in my basement and on the stand. Does anyone have a recommendation for some hired muscle that does this type of thing?

Projects with Sam

Same! Though I've heard the glass lifting handles that you can pick-up at harbor freight or similar make it a simple process. I'd help if close; what zip?

Fish_wiz2

It's here!!!! I hear some of the big LFS names in Chicago can be hired to help, also they should have the right tools and equipment being this is their industry. Try TankItEasy, Old Town Aquarium, or Aquatic World to name a few locals.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Very nice! Where did you get the extruded aluminum from?
Tnutz.com

It was my first time working with this stuff, so I learned a little along the way. I had Framing Tech build my stand for the new tank, but that was pretty pricy ($1,800). They drill and insert heavy connectors that is above my ability.

I thought I’d DIY the light rack. It’s totally fine, but even after learning a few things with putting it together, I’d probably change the way I did a few things. But, extruded aluminum in general is awesome!

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
Tnutz.com

It was my first time working with this stuff, so I learned a little along the way. I had Framing Tech build my stand for the new tank, but that was pretty pricy ($1,800). They drill and insert heavy connectors that is above my ability.

I thought I’d DIY the light rack. It’s totally fine, but even after learning a few things with putting it together, I’d probably change the way I did a few things. But, extruded aluminum in general is awesome!
Would you ever attempt building a stand with it on your own?

I always thought a stand made out of that looks so good and clean.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Would you ever attempt building a stand with it on your own?

I always thought a stand made out of that looks so good and clean.
Yes, it would fairly easy. And most places will make all of the cuts for you. Knowing what hardware to use would probably be the hardest part, but it’s not rocket science. The pros at Framing tech drilled and inserted high-quality fasteners, but you’d need a pretty good drill press for that (See below), but there are other ways of connecting this stuff.image.jpg

Mjl714

Your light rack looks fantastic, love low profile and how clean it appears.

As far as the build of the light rack, is it simply the same length and width of your tank or based on something else?

Other than your aggravation with Orphek, why the Coral Cares?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Your light rack looks fantastic, love low profile and how clean it appears.

As far as the build of the light rack, is it simply the same length and width of your tank or based on something else?

Other than your aggravation with Orphek, why the Coral Cares?
Thanks. I’m going to cladd it in 12 inch cabinet panels to match the cladding that will go on the stand. It is exactly the width of the tank.

Since I posted that pic, I be added light. Add, so it’s not as clean looking…but not too bad. If I weren’t going to class it, I’d run the bars within the extrusion instead of mounted to the bottom of it.

I like the longevity of a company like Phillips. Plus, I saw them at a buddy’s house and liked the look and his stuff is thriving. I’m not a huge fan of overly blue lights and these fit the bill. PLUS, that buddy has a wholesale account and hooked me up on price.

2DD7E37E-C13A-48DF-A241-3FEAA48E930C.jpeg

Fish_wiz2

Seeing this tank in person blows away any pics sawdonkey can post (no offense lol), congrats on the new tank and awaiting for updates!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Things are settling down in the tank. I had a pretty bad diatom bloom for a month or so. My nitrates were low and PO4 was high, and I’ve got that in check now. I have the aquascape set how I want it and now it’s time to start adding more acros. I need to find the time to skin the stand and light rig, but with a couple of toddlers running around, it’s tough to disappear into the garage/basement for an entire day.
5916B1C6-A28D-4652-98D8-F089A663D814.jpeg2C08F2B1-6F1F-4E68-A7B9-E3A9E0EC8B77.jpeg120DD1E7-5F15-4355-9869-16DBCB32BA85.jpeg2B3F10C5-DB4C-4C20-B73D-6C60BF1A0BE1.jpeg