55 gal, what sump etc?

gufynutz

Want to uPgrade my tank from a 29g biocube to a larger 55g but don't really know to much about building sumps...so my question is what should I be putting together for a reef tank? And what companies are decent and reliable? Skimmer pump etc?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
You have asked a pretty broad question(s). It might help if you narrow down your questions a bit and maybe provide some insight regarding your intentions. (Do you want a sump with a space for a refugium, in-sump skimmer, etc.?)
Are you looking to build your own sump or buy a sump? ( You mention building one but then ask for decent companies so I'm really not sure which way you're going.)

As far as skimmers go, most of them are good and do what they are supposed to. Not to say there are not any bads ones, but I rarely hear anyone complain about their skimmer's performance. I fundamentally believe that "bubbles are bubbles" and skimmers basically come down to a matter of personal preference and what you are willing to spend. You should probably look for one that is rated for ~100G or so for a 55G reef. Also, I'd want to make sure that the pump has a needle-wheel impeller (helps make more bubbles.) After that, you might want to consider if there is a gate-valve to control, maintain and fine-tune the water level in the skimmer. This is not mandatory as there are good skimmers out there that don't have a gate-valve...such as the ASM series. Like anything else, the more you pay the more features you get. The other really important, and sometimes the most important thing to consider is the "footprint" of the skimmer. How big is it and how much room will it take up in your sump? (Hence, we can't recommend nor can you decide what type of skimmer is best for you until you know what you're doing with your sump.) Lastly, you could always look at an external skimmer (which is plumbed outside of your sump) but you can't decide this until you know how big your sump will be and how much room (if any) would be left under your tank for an external skimmer.

My advice right now is to decide where you're going with the sump and go from there.

Cubbies

Like Eric said, what kind of room do you have? If you're going under the stand, you're limited. You might be drilling to the lower floor or you might have a fish room for it. If you are you have endless options. Dimmensions on a stand if you do have one and etc..... If you provide a little more info I'm sure you'll get a heck of alot more out of us :listen: