65gal upgrade/build

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Well I never made a true build thread for my current tank so I figured I would make one to outline my switch from my current 57g to the 65g I just picked up. Also leaves room to hopefully ask for some advice along the way.

Here is a pic of my current set up in the 57g

Here is the new(to me) 65g I picked up last week on CL.

Before anyone asks why I would upgrade to a tank basically the same size... The main reason is that the overflow is on the left in the new one and my tank sits in a left hand corner of the living room opening up a lot more viewing space. I also had just started making a stand and canopy for the 57 so I can continue and it will fit the same. (I'll get the "plans" I drew up for that as well)

My basic plan for the 65 will be to reuse as much equipment as I can from the 57 and just do a giant swap. That being said the set up will include my IT2080 LEDs, reef octopus 110 skimmer, TLF PO4 reactor, eheim submersible return pump (adjustable 900-1300gph), jagr heater, two koralia 3's? for circulation with several other koralia nanos down behind my rock work blowing all detritus out from behind them. I am running the tank BB hence the nanos clearing the bottom.

My big addition to this tank is the sump built by our very own Will! I joined that club quickly lol

Still in its wrapping! It goes fuge>skimmer/filter sock>return. I will be plumbing it so that the tank overflows into the filter sock/skimmer section and then either splitting my return, my reactor line, or running a small pump to feed my fuge where I will have some LR and macro.

The stand will be custom but pretty simple made out of oak. I'm going with it being a little taller to leave some extra room for wiring plumbing and working. The canopy will match it with a spot for my 2080 to sit on top instead of being hung or built inside. I wanted to be able to see the LCD without opening it for changes and to use the remote when I want. It also makes cooling not an issue. After that I will be building a small table/cabinet matching the stand that will be holding my top off reservoir. The top off will be pumped to the sump using an aqualifter and a jbj ATO with two switches in sump for safety.

Well here is a start to it. I promise to get up more pics and ask a million questions as I go along :lol:

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free