7.5 g LED lighting question

Om84

Hey guys,

About to start a new build with a small tank. This is gonna be a 12x12x12 Mr. Aqua 7.5g. I'm gonna go with LEDs. I plan on having a SPS dominant. Question is regarding which LEDs to go with. I'm on a budget so price matters. I bought a par30 bulb from Coral Compulsion (3 Deep Blue, 2 Neutral White, 1 Cool White, 1 True Violet -- all running at 2watts). Bulb says it is for up to 12x12x12 space. Problem is I hooked it up and I'm not sure if its producing enough light. Maybe because its an empty tank and light is scattering. Should I upgrade the bulb to their par38 or stick with this one?

jm23

Since you already have it, I would suggest trying it out first. I think people over estimate how many LEDs are needed for a tank. I have far less then what is recommended and everything is growing great. I think your current LEDs will do fine and if not you can always upgrade. I do not think however that you will kill anything due to lack of light with your current one, you might not see the growth or color you are looking for, but again I think you should be fine. Let us know how it works out.

Also don't be afraid to bump your own thread if you aren't getting an answer. Sometimes threads slip through the cracks, the community here is very helpful.

tinman

Ok here is the thing

Brightness of LEDs may be very low and may appear dim to our eyes but the par would be good enough and is comparable to a very bright t5 lighting so don't worry

Well, if you feel that brightness is not enough for your viewing pleasure it's a diff story

Id say give it time and give it a try

Om84

Thanks guys. Didn't check back for a while since I didn't get any response. I did lower the light a little. Tank looks nice with the water and rock in the tank. Haven't tried livestock yet. Almost done with the cycle!