75 gallon reef or nano reef, pros and cons

greenninja19

Im setting up my 220 Fowler tanks right and once that is established im moving fish from my 75 gallon tank to the 220. I would like to start a reef tank have never had one would like to hear what u guys think. If I should go with a nano or turn my 75 gallon tank in to a reef tank? Not sure which would would be better. Thanks for the help guys.

Smitty

Premium member
The 75 gal would be more stable once established, and give you more room for coral growth and fish...but more maintenance is needed, and it takes more money to stock it and maintain it.
The nano tank will be a lil less stable than the 75 gal, and you'll have to monitor it more because of fluctuating parameters...but maintenance is much easier and cheaper, and its quicker to stock with corals and fish.

Cubbies

Do you have sand in the 75? If so, your tank is already established and only have to start stocking it. I've had small tanks to larger tanks and to me it's much easier to maintain a larger tank rather than a small one. I would go with the 75. Less fluctuation = less to worry about. Smaller tanks are nice but imo they need so much more attention. Either way there way this hobby costs what it does and we know it. I think you will enjoy a bigger reef as well instead of having to go up to tank to check it out at times.

greenninja19

My 75 is up and running right now but I would have to do 100% water change to convert it to a reef tank. because there is tap water in the system right now at least thats what I've heard anyway

tinman

Also depends on what lighting you have on the 75 now

Depending on your choice of lighting it may be expensive for 75 and better lighting and cheaper on a nano

Jep21

to me its basically up to which ever u prefer.. i myself am a nano tank guy.. i love the look and how little space it takes.. only issues are ur limited to fish/corals u can add to the tank since they may out grow the tank.. i do agree with everyone else that keeping a larger tank will be easier on keeping all the water parameters.. but for me.. with the right equipment and dedication you can easly keep a nano tank without much work.. just by the right equipment and keep up with the water changes and you should be fine.. i have kept 5 or 6 nanos at one point so i knw lol.. nano is easy.. just for me tackling a big tank is intimidating since cost of equipment goes up/need more space for tank/ and bigger water changes lol..

greenninja19

Also depends on what lighting you have on the 75 now

Depending on your choice of lighting it may be expensive for 75 and better lighting and cheaper on a nano
Yea I would have to buy a new light for my 75 which would cost probably pretty close to the same as it would to buy a nano

frostyjay1

i love the look of the 75 as a reef more than anything. i started with a small tank and went bigger. i made it up to a 75 and then ran into persol issues, and am now down to a biocube 29. i must say i love my tank. it is a good size to keep smaller reef fish and fill up with coral rather easy. yes lighting is more expensive on a reef, but you buy it and are good. you can get 2 full spectrum leds from coral compulsion for around $500 and be able to keep any coral you want. but as they said before work is work. nano tanks require way more frequent water changes and paramaters swing faster. sorry for not being any help but i show point on either decision you make