8g biocube for fresh water?

Twitch

What is the best way to use a bc8 for a freshwater tank. My girl wants to do a few glow fish for my daughter and I picked up the tank with a par30 bulb the other day which should make em glow pretty good. It didnt come with a lid or media basket so I was planing on just us just by a media bag with some carbon in it and some filter floss. Anyone ever use a bc as freshwater?

tinman

Just fill it
Put in a heater
Fill the first chamber with filter floss
And wait for two weeks
Put in some fish

Last edited:

Smith11

if you have a big freshwater tank suck some of the gunk from the gravel, like a spoonful, and add it to the new tank instead of paying for cycle stuff. They are really easy to take care of.

Twitch

Ok so all the sites I have seen say there is 2 ways to cycle with and with out fish. the without fish way seems like a pain in the ass and the with fish way just says test levels and do water changes for the first few weeks. I will look into the safe start stuff. I dont have any other fresh tanks to grab stuff from. So my list is as follows

1. Safestart or similar
2. Gravel
3. A live plant or 2
4. Filter floss
5. Carbon and a media bag.
6. 1 or 2 fish to get the cycle going.

Also should I make the water with my r/o system or just use tap water?

Smith11

tap water is ok, rodi would be great. Id recommend sand or formula substrate from fluval if you're doing plants. I have some fish poop if yer lookin ahahaha. Gonna need a heater for the glowfish. maybe a rock or two, driftwood is great too.

Neebles

If you are going fish-in cycle Seachem Prime works well to bind the ammonia and crap and make it a little more safe for the fish.

Twitch

tap water is ok, rodi would be great. Id recommend sand or formula substrate from fluval if you're doing plants. I have some fish poop if yer lookin ahahaha. Gonna need a heater for the glowfish. maybe a rock or two, driftwood is great too.
I already have a heater here. And I will be buying some scape I like the driftwood idea if I can find a really cool piece that has multiple branches or maybe a stumpish piece that will make a cool cave. Ill have to look around. I will look into the fluval substrate too.

Pufferpunk

Do NOT use RODI for FW! It lacks the minerals FW fish need to survive, which we add back to our SW tanks, with salt. Chicago water is great, just add Prime to dechlorinate.

cet98

if PetCo doesn't cycle their tanks....why should we?......they must know what they're doing cause everyone there is an "expert".....at least that's what they keep telling me :p

tinman

if PetCo doesn't cycle their tanks....why should we?......they must know what they're doing cause everyone there is an "expert".....at least that's what they keep telling me :p
well true though if experience counts as expertise ;) haha

we have some even on here who has soo much experience but well not even little expertise

Twitch

Lol I will let the tank cycle. I just rememner as a kid changing out 100% of our water and washing the gravel in our angel tank I had no idea freshwater was like this too.

Smith11

Do NOT use RODI for FW! It lacks the minerals FW fish need to survive, which we add back to our SW tanks, with salt. Chicago water is great, just add Prime to dechlorinate.
Actually you're wrong. Using rodi for freshwater is alright as long as you maintain Ph and alk. Its the best to use for discus and altums and then add your nutrients through fish food>fish poop>nitrates
+phosphates. Fish can live exceptionally happy in straight up rodi as long as it is maintained. Granted proper parameters are met. In this situation If he is looking to keep just glowfish sure tap is fine with dechlo but nothing beats good chemistry.

Mackch

I already have a heater here. And I will be buying some scape I like the driftwood idea if I can find a really cool piece that has multiple branches or maybe a stumpish piece that will make a cool cave. Ill have to look around. I will look into the fluval substrate too.
I have a nice piece or fake wood if you want it. Had it in a fw that I broke down. View attachment 2955