A Different Kind of Pest: Lightning Bugs

enzo1028

Premium member
This might not be the best place to search for help on this, but I have been seeing an increasing number of lightning bugs getting into my basement lately. The first thing they go for are the lights on my tank. When I got home from being out of town during the holiday weekend, there was 3 floating around the surface of my display and about 10 in the sump. Luckily I removed them before any sort of crash happened and I have kept an eye on it since.

But does anyone has any experience with keeping bugs away from their reef tank? Any tips or tricks to deter bugs? I have tried tracking down where these lightning bugs are coming from and the only thing I can think of would be our AC, does anyone have similar experiences with pests like this for a new home owner?

skyon888

I had a very similar issue with those asian beetles (they look very similar to ladybugs) about this time last year. I blame them for an algae outbreak that occurred at the same time/shortly after that, which lasted throughout the summer until I could finally get it under control.

After doing some research on them I purchased some D-fense sc from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YRQAKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and applied it per the instructions to the perimeter of the house and windows/doors in the fall of last year. This spring I haven't had any issues with them at all.

enzo1028

Premium member
I had a very similar issue with those asian beetles (they look very similar to ladybugs) about this time last year. I blame them for an algae outbreak that occurred at the same time/shortly after that, which lasted throughout the summer until I could finally get it under control.

After doing some research on them I purchased some D-fense sc from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YRQAKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and applied it per the instructions to the perimeter of the house and windows/doors in the fall of last year. This spring I haven't had any issues with them at all.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check that out! I definitely noticed an algae bloom on my glass that grew over the weekend. Usually it doesn't grow that fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goatous

I had a similar situation with home invasion of Boxelder bugs which decided on a mass suicide in my tank, while I was on vacation for a week. There were so many they were able to obstruct the overflow and overflow the tank.

Calk and fill any cracks holes on the exterior of house and then spray the ground and adjacent lower wall with a pesticide which is effective against the bug. Another strategy is using grub killers and get them in their larval grub stage growing in your lawn.