A Move

nyckeeandnate6

Hey! We moved back in February and our tank still hasn't quite bounce back. Only a very little of our Coraline Algae has come back. Does anyone have any secrets or tricks they are willing to share that might make our tank come back to life so to say. Even my Zoas that were growing like weeds are now barely doing anything....

Also, has anyone ever had Xenia's that wouldn't or didn't grow? I have had them for almost 6 months and they just don't do anything. Until recently they didn't even pulse. :Cry:

lunacris

when i moved my tank the first time all my coraline turned white and i just scraped off also my tank recycled so corals were not happy for a while didnt loose anything tho

nyckeeandnate6

We haven't lost anything just haven't had anything really perk up the way it used to. We use the F*** it method of reefing and don't test very often so I cannot tell you the parameters offhand also I am currently at the hospital with no access to the information from the last test we did do. We use VHO CFLs on an 8 hour light schedule. We did scrape off all the white coraline though.

lunacris

i also use the same method i dont test ethier i do water changes normally and went back to my tap water instead of ro water just didnt see the difference just my .02

nyckeeandnate6

We do use RO water. The city water where we live is horrible. We do a weekly 10% water change. When we first started we did a lot of testing and ended up with a lot of problems, now we greatly limit testing. We do use additives but I do not have a list with me. I am still at the hospital.

SaylorsReef

We do use RO water. The city water where we live is horrible. We do a weekly 10% water change. When we first started we did a lot of testing and ended up with a lot of problems, now we greatly limit testing. We do use additives but I do not have a list with me. I am still at the hospital.

I also don't understand how testing can lead to more problems. Additives should not be added unless you are testing and monitoring the levels.

Hope things go well for you at the hospital. I'm spending a lot of time there myself lately with grandma. :(

nyckeeandnate6

My father has been in the hospital since Monday and I haven't left his side. We only add a few additives to the tank One of which is the 2 part Nano reef additive. We kept killing things off, got a whole bunch of hair algea and a bunch of other **** when we tested. For the last year everything exploded and looked beautiful as soon is we cut back on additives and testing. We just let **** be.

ColaAddict

Sorry to hear about your father, hope everything goes well. Unfortunately without checking your parameters, you won't know how bad your tank is doing. Maybe aleast have somebody do a water change.

Pufferpunk

Eventually, the entire system will crash when corals start dying. This is no way to keep a reef tank. And do you think you could post without being censored? ;)

nyckeeandnate6

We have done fine with this method for 2 and a half years. I didn't have problems with anything until we moved the tank and have not had luck with the xenia. I am sorry for the cussing but 4 hours of total sleep since Sunday while staying with my father was not kind to me. There are many people who use the method of reefing that we use successfully.

lunacris

like i said i also use this method and have success only reason i stopped testing every week and moved to less testing is because i had my set up at the same evrytime i tested once i got into routine of proper dosing and water changes for my system testing appeared to be less mandatory i start testing weekly on my new set up till i find common ground again i never had problems after testing and adding things ayways hope all is well at home and you get your system back on track

ColaAddict

That's all good Nyckee, or Nate, but as soon as you see problems, you have to be ready to test. There's obviously something wrong, so you need to see what it is. I suggest doing some tests, whoever is available to do it.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
IMHO, I agree with everyone who is saying that you need to test your param's, at least when there are issues. I used to test daily, then weekly. My tank has been so stable for so long that I only test every other week now. However, as you requested a "tip", I have xenias and zoas that didn't grow much. I began adding SeaChem's Reef Plus and now I'm cutting xenias out weekly because they are growing too much. Also, my zoas have been spreading like crazy. Xenias and zoas supposedly do much better with sufficient iodine (which is like one of 20 or so elements/aminos in Reef Plus.) I don't know what type of salt you're mixing, but "perhaps" your weekly changes are not restoring the depleted trace elements if your brand of salt is not a high quality reef salt. If you're looking for your coralline to grow, you might want to look at your Magnesium level. Coralline absorbs a higher percentage of Mg than SPS or LPS. So it is possible that your stony coral have enough Mg to thrive but the coralline doesn't. However, it is my opinion that you shouldn't blindly add Mg without testing for it. Things like Purple Up and Purple Tech are mostly made up of Mg or you can simply buy a bottle of straight Mg.
Another tip, take a clean toothbrush and lightly brush your existing coralline. It will release spores that will land and grow in other places.

On a side note...you mentioned that you previously had a hair algae breakout. I'm not sure if you feel this was caused by the additives or not, but if so, it had to be a coincidence because HA feeds off of 2 things, nitrates and phosphates, not additives.

Best of luck and hope your dad gets better soon!

jcarlilesiu

I'm not sure how we can offer any suggestions if we have no idea what could be wrong with your tank.

Obviously something is off, and we need to be able to isolate the issue in order to make a recommendation.