Acan Color Help

Mooney190

So I've had these rainbow acans for about a year and a half. Bought 2 heads, now have 12. Pretty expensive, ultra rainbows. They were crazy colored when I got them, but quickly just became bright orange, without a trace of the green/yellow/pink/red that they had to start with. Any ideas how to get the color back? I've done everything I could think of.View attachment 17373

gumby

Did you get the frag from a fresh wild colony? I'm asking because alot of wild colony that are rainbow when they come in lose their colors in captivity and look just like regular acans

maidia

Team CR
Try move it under the rock..rainbow color will back soon...I saw too much light for acan there.

Mooney190

These acans were from a large established colony in a friend's tank, they were not fresh wild.

And I tried moving into shade, but after about 1 week, it seemed the heads were just not getting as puffy, so i moved it back out. I'll try it again, and see what happens. Thanks for the tips guys.

Mooney190

Do rainbow colors come out more with led, mh, t5, compact, ECT? I was been thinking of doing a retrofit kit hoping that could make a difference. Any thoughts on that?

Fish_wiz2

Do rainbow colors come out more with led, mh, t5, compact, ECT? I was been thinking of doing a retrofit kit hoping that could make a difference. Any thoughts on that?
I've had luck with rainbows on an old tank using metal halide. Specifically Radiums. Never could keep color under PC, T5, or LED's but these were junk units not a TEK T5 or Radion LED.