Achilles Tang

chriz2

Hi everyone
I purchased a Achilles tang two weeks ago. The first day he was a little shy and was being chased a little bit by my purple tang. The very next day he was swimming around with the other fish in my tank with no problems and was eating very well. After two weeks I found him one the bottom of the tank died. I have observed him every day and he looked great and was eating very well and there were no signs of stress or disease. The only thing is the day before he died I did not feed my fish due to a extremely long day at work. I know it is a very hard fish to keep , any ideas of what went wrong?
Tank Size is 180 gallon reef

jayjerk

Premium member
They need very strong flow and loads of swimming room. Can be fine for months then drop dead. the stress from purple didn't help the cause either.

chriz2

I was kind of shocked because he looked extremely healthy and was making his way around the tank after one day. I have a great flow of water, but am limited on swimming area due to a lot of live rock and corals

ColaAddict

Typical achilles. Fine one day, dead the next. They need SPS reef kind of flow, lots of oxygen and food. They also do better in bigger tanks, bigger than 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Water

A lot of stores don't sell them for this reason. Research prior to purchase is important.
This fish is clearly noted as an expert only fish . This fish is know to get ich easy and take out your whole tanks fish population

I also hope you didn't put him in your tank directly from the store. I kept mine in quarantine for too short, and then placed in the tank. Killed half of my fish population with whatever he was carrying.