adding fish! heavy bio load?

expo703

So is this a light/medium/heavy bio load for my (135 gal long (72x18x24) 25 gal sump~ 160gal total system? How much more can I add or should I not even think about it! Will have LPS, SPS, softies, and rbta.

2 clowns ( in DT )
1 royal Gramma ( will add first )
2 lytail anthias (will add second )
1 Carpenter Flasher wrasse (will add 3rd )
1 fire angel - if not fire angel ( they nip corals) maybe lawnmore blenny or Bluespotted Watchman Goby and shrimp ( will add 4th? )
1 or 2 skunk cleaner shrimp
maybe starfish or tuxido urchin
1 copperband butterfly (will add 5th)
1 marine beta (will add 6th)
3 tangs (will add 7/8/9th)

is my order good? Tangs i'm thinking yellow, kole, achilies maybe powder blue really want a hippo but everyone is say my tank is not big enough. Also really wanted a Longhorn cow but they are saying that is also to small of a tank.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Seems reasonable, but I'd skip the Achilles / powder blue /hippo. All of these need lots of room. Also, you might want to add that angel last. My lemonpeel is a real jerk, even though it it is the second smallest in my tank. I assume the flame angel is similar (both dwarf angels).

expo703

I really like tangs grr what do you think I could get in my tank? Yellow, Kole and? I was hoping one woud be like my "show fish" Achilles / powder blue /hippo

Last edited:

anarchy

Heard Achilles get pretty aggressive. I'd say those 2 tangs would be good for that tank. It's just a little too small for a show piece tang. I'd use the copperband for the show fish

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I really like tangs grr what do you think I could get in my tank? Yellow, Kole and? I was hoping one woud be like my "show fish" Achilles / powder blue /hippo
The kole and yellow should be ok, but the other three are big swimmers and need lots of space. Achilles are known to be the hardest tang to keep because they just need a lot of room and very oxygenated water. Powder blues are known to be very mean. Mine isn't mean, but his tankmates are very aggressive so he gets put in his place if he gets out of line.

This is coming from a guy who had naso in a 55 years ago before I knew better. I upgraded to a 90 for about two years and had a powder blue in there too, and then got a 220. I still have both. So I guess you could get one of those tangs small if you plan to upgrade down the road, but it isn't ideal. I never read forums so unjust listened to LFS people. Yes, they recommended that a naso was fine in a 55.

maidia

Team CR
I think no for Achilles tang need 180 gallon or bigger. Hipo and Powder Blue OK but put in last. I got purple, powder blue and hipo and all doing good and no fighting...:)

I think no for Achilles tang need 180 gallon or bigger. Hipo and Powder Blue OK but put in last. I got purple, powder blue and hipo and all doing good and no fighting...:)
Hippo needs a bigger tank than an Achilles. They're even bigger swimmers once given the right environment.

expo703

Powder blue might work says min tank is 125 but they are aggressive so maybe put it in last - as for the purple tang I also heard is aggressive and might not work well with yellow,kole? So i'm either doing yellow,kole,powder blue I guess?

So what about my bioload seem light/medium/heavy should I look at other fish or suggestions on other stuff I might/shouldn't add? Also the order is cool in terms of territories / aggressiveness?

2 clowns ( in DT )
1 royal Gramma ( will add first )
2 lytail anthias (will add second )
1 Carpenter Flasher wrasse (will add 3rd )
1 fire angel - if not fire angel ( they nip corals) maybe lawnmore blenny or Bluespotted Watchman Goby and shrimp ( will add 4th? )
1 or 2 skunk cleaner shrimp
maybe starfish or tuxido urchin
1 copperband butterfly (will add 5th)
1 marine beta (will add 6th)
3 tangs (will add yellow 7/ kole 8/ powder blue9th)

I have plenty of flow and light and a vertex omega 150 skimmer

maidia

Team CR
Hippo needs a bigger tank than an Achilles. They're even bigger swimmers once given the right environment.
I know but my hipo stay small for long, may be the size of the tank make him small :)

Hipo always come with small size in LFS but not Achilles.

I know but my hipo stay small for long, may be the size of the tank make him small :)

Hipo always come with small size in LFS but not Achilles.
A smaller tank, in combination with the diet didn't allow the fish to grow properly. They're not quite herbivores like other tangs, their diet should be Plankton and meaty foods. They would do better in dirtier aquariums, with more live foods to graze on.

maidia

Team CR
A smaller tank, in combination with the diet didn't allow the fish to grow properly. They're not quite herbivores like other tangs, their diet should be Plankton and meaty foods. They would do better in dirtier aquariums, with more live foods to graze on.
Nah, no need dirty tank...My hipo still live and almost over 10 years...and happy from clean SPS tank now softy tank...keep feed him with my DIY food and seaweed...be happy. Otherwise Fish only tank will better for him...

expo703

I really want a yellow/kole tang as tangs seem to be my favorite fish right now. I'm thinking maybe add all the fish I want so its like this :

royal gramma (currently have in DT)
3 lyretail antheis (currently have in DT)
6 line wrasse (currently have in DT)
cleaner wrasse (currently have in DT)
mccoskers flasher wrasse (currently have in DT)
2 ocel clowns (currently have in DT)

adding:

marine beta < ( can skip )
flame hawkfish < ( can skip )
flame angel < ( can skip )
copperband butterfly < (really want!)
watchmen goby < ( can skip )

Then add the two tangs together at the same time and around same size : yellow < (really want!) and kole tang < (really want!)

Does that sound like a game play or is that too many fish?