adding live plants

kratos1028

I setup a freshwater aquarium for now and i was thinking of adding some live plants to it. The tank sits by the window and gets a few hrs of sunlight going into it everywhere. It created an algae issue but I am on that. As for adding live plants, can I add some and put them in the areas where sunlight hits or do they need special lights? The tank currently has the regular florescent 50/50 bulb over it with a tin foil rapped around it to make it a little brighter.

Mackch

I setup a freshwater aquarium for now and i was thinking of adding some live plants to it. The tank sits by the window and gets a few hrs of sunlight going into it everywhere. It created an algae issue but I am on that. As for adding live plants, can I add some and put them in the areas where sunlight hits or do they need special lights? The tank currently has the regular florescent 50/50 bulb over it with a tin foil rapped around it to make it a little brighter.
I also just set up a freshwater and added plants, I have the fluval freshwater full spectrum led, and some plants grow and some dont. I dont know why they die yet but still researching it, I tried letting sunlight hit the tank for a couple hours a day but didnt seem to do anything. I tried a few cheap ones from Aquarium Adventure. think i spent like 10 bucks on them. I think there are high light plants and low light plants. Add some and see how they do.

labas39

This is my 65 gallon freshwater. It may get a little sunlight in the morning but it's really inconsequential.

After trying a bunch of bulbs, LED's and doing some research, I ended up with 2 True Lumen Flora Pink T5 bulbs. As you can see, my tank has crazy growth! The color of the bulbs is also pretty pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
I grew mangroves in my fuge under 9w if led red and white bulbs. The ones off ebay r raised under low light so already accustomed i had best luck with those grew like weeds

madjoe

Premium member
I also just set up a freshwater and added plants, I have the fluval freshwater full spectrum led, and some plants grow and some dont. I dont know why they die yet but still researching it, I tried letting sunlight hit the tank for a couple hours a day but didnt seem to do anything. I tried a few cheap ones from Aquarium Adventure. think i spent like 10 bucks on them. I think there are high light plants and low light plants. Add some and see how they do.
Some plants need co2 to live. I was gonna diy a yeast co2 thing and have planted discus tank but i gave up quick lol