Adding small frag tank off DT ideas

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Just wanted to see if anyone had any brilliant ideas for attaching a small frag tank to my DT. It's nothing I'm ready to build this instance as I need to finish (and start!) building the new custom stand and canopy for my tank before I start anything new.

Here is a poorly drawn picture of what is in my head. My DT is in a corner to the back left in between two doors to the right of it I am building a matching cabinet that will house a decent sized ATO reservoir. Unfortunately I only have about 12" of width to work there roughly. But I'm thinking I could build a cabinet the same height as my DT stand, as wide as will fit, and 18" deep (again same as DT). That gives me a 12x18 footprint to work with (or something close to that.

I'm thinking I would just be Ting off of my DT return pump to run water to it and gravity feeding right back into the sump as well.

What I'm looking for is insight on any and all of this. What size/kind of tank? Lighting? How to hook it up? I have a little bit of height to play with but is there any logical way to layer racks so I can use that height to my advantage?

Like I said this is something ill be working toward as a winter project but wouldn't mind compiling knowledge or parts for it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

for racks, most just use egg crate (home depot in the ceiling tile section)
the only real difference between having one or many tanks draining to the same sump is in event of power failure make sure your sump is big enough to handle the additional water it will get.

Connecting it: you hook it up the same way as your display, or if the heights work out could have your display drain thru the second tank on its way to the sump.... there again gonna matter how much flow, what size tanks, etc..