Additives/dosing in fowlr

erok90

Is it necessary to dose or add any additives to a fowlr? Total water volume is between 200-210 gallons. I have a huge skimmer rated for 250g.i was planning on doing 40g wc every 3 weeks.should I do them sooner? Should I just add trace elements?

Herbie

Banned
I am under the impression thet Fish aren't consuming trace elements and calcium like corals do so most "dosing" is completely unnecessary. You could look at biopellets or k1 for denitrification but good live rock can do that plenty well. You'll probably want to look more at selcon or other vitamins instead of two part or kalk dosing in a fowlr.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

erok90

Awesome one less thing I have to worry about.i gonna be starting off with dry rock so should I get a bio pellet reactor? What kind of vitamins should I look into?

fwadiver

dont use biopellets unless you have some experience, they can go wrong fast, typical vitamins are selcon added to food, but are totally unessecery unless you are feeding junk all the time (like brine)

gig

Just WC and enough light to make the fish look good ;)

Oh yeah siphon out the poop

jm23

Also you can save some money by using normal salt, not reef salt as you won't be needing the calc, alk, mag etc. You can also run with a lower salinity and save salt as well.

FishBeard

Bio pellets in a FOWLR tank are just fine even for the greenest of newbs to the hobby. Just be sure to have a quality BP reactor and skimmer. They will do a great job of stripping excess nutrients from the water that will just feed nuisance algae in your tank, and also allow you more time between water changes (if you even need to change it anyways) You may notice you don't need to do many water changes at all once the pellets have gone active and doing their job.

Jason R

I have always been under the understanding that BioPellets are only dangerous to reef tanks as they can strip out too many nutrients that some corals need to feed.