Advance aquatics Schaumburg :(

Went there today and I must say that store has gone way down in my books :( dead fish in tanks and not taken out and Xenia for 70.00!! I remember when they first opened I loved the place and it was so amazing but the selection and lack of customer service just wasn't there. They had GSP on sale too for 69.99 everything was just over priced and didn't look good at all.

jayjigga

Lol, yeah...between them and BTR, you'll get sticker shock for sure. When they have a sale, sometimes there's a deal to score, but otherwise, it's tough to justify some of the cost vs. value. Some stores have off days; some stores have them more often than others :)

Edit: I thought you were talking about Aquarium Adv (which shows ya how much I was awake when I read this post :p
Glenn has always done good by me, maybe it's cause I'm "lighter" than you, hehe...nah, j/k. Glenn has been solid to CR people. Are you sure you're not talking about Aquarium Adv??

Funlad3

Glenn is usually priced extremely fairly on fish and mini colonies, especially some of the frags in the main tanks! I've never seen a dead fish in his store, save for the silversides in his freezer. Could his selection be a bit better, yes. All the same, I think that you must have caught him on a bad day.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Went there today and I must say that store has gone way down in my books :( dead fish in tanks and not taken out and Xenia for 70.00!! I remember when they first opened I loved the place and it was so amazing but the selection and lack of customer service just wasn't there. They had GSP on sale too for 69.99 everything was just over priced and didn't look good at all.
Moe, come by my house for some Xenia; I'm only charging $35! ;)

Could have been a off day they had good deal on clowns but the three that were dead in tank got me worried it was 6.00 a clown fish and I didn't see anything amazing in the store.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Beyond the Reef also had the zenia in their DT that was like $60 or $70. Not sure if they still do. Maybe it's a Schaumburg thing, lol. When I was a noob I paid $30 for my stalk of xenia and was soooo happy when it turned into 2 stalks. Round about 100+ stalks I knew I might have paid too much, :lol:

I've pretty much been in every store in the area more than once and can say that sometimes inventory will be low one week and then fully stocked the next.

tinman

I'm better than you then :p

I paid only 15 per stalk before comming on to cr and got all excited when I got to get somemore of dancing xenia from generous Vic for free

Beyond the Reef also had the zenia in their DT that was like $60 or $70. Not sure if they still do. Maybe it's a Schaumburg thing, lol. When I was a noob I paid $30 for my stalk of xenia and was soooo happy when it turned into 2 stalks. Round about 100+ stalks I knew I might have paid too much, :lol:

I've pretty much been in every store in the area more than once and can say that sometimes inventory will be low one week and then fully stocked the next.

FishBeard

Moe, you are talking about Glenn at Advanced? Or did you mean to talk about Aquarium Adventure up at Golf road? I have had quite the opposite experience with Advanced in the past year or so, he is retail price but every purchase from him I have felt the prices were very fair. Just don't buy the Xenia or GSP I guess? Advanced is one of my go-to stores if I can't get something from another hobbyists tank. Also remember to tell Glenn you are on CR and he gives you his store membership price (currently 30% fish & corals) which usually sweetens the deal even more.

jonh5150

Glen has always given me fair and solid advice. I think the modern "storefront" is at a disadvantage because of the overhead. He has helped me since day one and I know what to expect from him. I may pay a little more but he has an answer to any question, has almost every bulb imaginable in stock and its a really cool store to visit. My kids way prefer to walk thru his store than the back of a warehouse. I also bought my first xenia from Glen :) so even though I cant afford a lot of the stuff I do appreciate the value he provides. BTR not so much

FlyinBryan

I was there yesterday too..tanks looked a little roughed up and the blue tangs were hurting bad..2 of them really beat up. He had the music pumpin though!!
I of course made the stop into AA..love that place!

Yeah they had some loud techno on hahha and yes I saw the same thing hungry hippos and damaged :( I loved this store when it first opened it was seriously amazing.

tkh

Strange, Glen has some of the best customer service I've seen from the stores I frequent, and his tanks have always been clean / free of dead fish & visible disease. In fact, those two factors combined along with a nice layout, open bright shop, make his store my favorite despite being almost an hour away. I mean, other stores beat him in price, but I've been nothing but happy shopping there. I even got my super cool acro crab there!

Aquarium Adventure on the other hand is a disaster, shame they even keep fish... I'll never step in there again after all the disease and dead fish I'd seen.

Glen and Advanced Aquatics, however, is top notch in my experience at least.