Advice on starting a small tank.

mr_z

Im looking to start something small like a 5 gallon reef in my parents living room. I live on the second floor in a separate apartment and my mom is always coming up to look at my tank. I'd like it nice and small because there is no room for anything big. I wanted to go buy a 5 gallon tank from petsmart and make a custom fuge on it like the bio and nano cubes have. I mave a mini jet 606 i think should be good to use. What do u guys recommend for heater? Pump? Filtration? Lighting? Livestock? How often should water changes be done? Anything else? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

poidog

they key to a healthy nano is frequent water changes. I have kept mine happy for 3 years with 15% water changes weekly. It gets angry if I miss a week. It will be much harder to keep the temp stable in a 5g pico.... so I would be weary of that, but it can be done.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
One way to go would be a 5G kit with a hood. Use a 50/50 bulb in it and keep and HOB filter that has media and LR rubble. Also use a mini heater that's preset for 78 degrees. As for livestock, maybe A cleaner shrimp and a snail or two.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
they key to a healthy nano is frequent water changes. I have kept mine happy for 3 years with 15% water changes weekly. It gets angry if I miss a week. It will be much harder to keep the temp stable in a 5g pico.... so I would be weary of that, but it can be done.
Definitely a lot of PWCs!

BADGUS

Try a 10-20g tank instead,will be easier to accomodate lighting and filta\ration,not to mention,a bit more stable in the temp zone.

mr_z

Thanks guys. Id like a 10 gallon but there's is literally no room for one in their living room. The spots where there is room there is sunlight hitting it most the time that's what sucks they have a bunch of windows. I was considering this fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15493 seems good for the price but it will be a challenge. I'll let you guys know what I do

mr_z

Yeah I saw those on eBay from finnex for way less than half that price

Sorry the one I saw is a finnex but with hob filter and 21 led light fixture. For $55 and this one u linked is same price on eBay

The reefer

U should look for a 8g biocube mayb. Smaller, nice looking and it's aio. . I might b te same width as a 10 and it looks more clean

mr_z

Hmmm that sounds good but I do want to keep it as small as possible

DJE

I thought the same thing but the more I thought about it, I think this will be better for keeping the nano more stable.