AEFW - Thread on how I'm treating and any impacts on the tank (Bayer)

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
14 days into the dipping regiment. 6 days after My last update after dip #2. I'm amazed by the progress AND growth that has been achieved through the last two weeks.

Noticeable changes
-Awesome growth on a few pieces
-Red Planet is starting to get some great color (thought this guy might be a goner after it turned a dingy green after the last dip) but it is bouncing back.
-great new growth, many new branches on some pieces.

Pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Dip #3 at 5-6ml per cup of saltwater at 9-10 minutes.

Only exception is my mini smooth acro colony was only dipped for 6-7 min based on it being more sensitive according to other people's trials. I fragged a piece of the smooth acro last week and stuck in on a plug that is getting the full 10 min. I want to see any adverse reactions so I can report on them here.

Boring pic of the dip but here it is!

View attachment 16433

taylor t

Gosh, that looks like a strong dip! Good to know I've been dipping like a wimp, and it seemed to work for me at the time. Next time I dip, I can do it like the typical crambone! I can't believe how strong you guys are dipping them. Thanks for the update. Looks like your sps are doing quite well.

Hey man, have you tried Zeovit Flatworm Stop? What it (supposedly) does is makes your SPS produce more slime and in turn makes them undesirable to AEFW. However it supposedly takes 2-3 months for it to kick in so it's best you use this product as more of a preventive measure than a reactive one. It might be worth looking into. It doesn't eradicate your AEFW by attacking it directly, it just makes it so that they don't feed on your acros. Many have reported that their acros gain their polyp extension and color right back and AEFW reduce in numbers from starving to death. Some say it doesn't work at all. I'm curious what your experience would be like.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Gosh, that looks like a strong dip! Good to know I've been dipping like a wimp, and it seemed to work for me at the time. Next time I dip, I can do it like the typical crambone! I can't believe how strong you guys are dipping them. Thanks for the update. Looks like your sps are doing quite well.
Yeah, it is going really well so far. I'll continue the updates to advise on any issues.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
Hey man, have you tried Zeovit Flatworm Stop? What it (supposedly) does is makes your SPS produce more slime and in turn makes them undesirable to AEFW. However it supposedly takes 2-3 months for it to kick in so it's best you use this product as more of a preventive measure than a reactive one. It might be worth looking into. It doesn't eradicate your AEFW by attacking it directly, it just makes it so that they don't feed on your acros. Many have reported that their acros gain their polyp extension and color right back and AEFW reduce in numbers from starving to death. Some say it doesn't work at all. I'm curious what your experience would be like.
I'll definitely look into this. Sounds promising.

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
I'll definitely look into this. Sounds promising.
So I just looked into pricing and dosage requirements. For my system ~200g at the lowest recommended dosage (1ml per 25 gal) for the lowest recommended timeframe to have success (3 months) it looks like those 3 months will cost a total of $130. ($80 for 500ml and $50 for 250ml bottles)

It sounds awesome though and will certainly use this if I see a repopulation of AEFW after my dipping regiments.

So far, I haven't seen any AEFW after my initial dip. However, as we all know that doesn't mean the tiny ones that just hatched aren't still coming off in the dips!

So I just looked into pricing and dosage requirements. For my system ~200g at the lowest recommended dosage (1ml per 25 gal) for the lowest recommended timeframe to have success (3 months) it looks like those 3 months will cost a total of $130. ($80 for 500ml and $50 for 250ml bottles)

It sounds awesome though and will certainly use this if I see a repopulation of AEFW after my dipping regiments.

So far, I haven't seen any AEFW after my initial dip. However, as we all know that doesn't mean the tiny ones that just hatched aren't still coming off in the dips!
yea i think the stuff is more of a proactive supplement rather than a reactive cure...you start doing this BEFORE you get AEFW...i suppose you can dose this if you get infected but i'm sure it's not quite as effective since by that time AEFW's will have chewed up the skin already

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
yea i think the stuff is more of a proactive supplement rather than a reactive cure...you start doing this BEFORE you get AEFW...i suppose you can dose this if you get infected but i'm sure it's not quite as effective since by that time AEFW's will have chewed up the skin already
Yeah, it would be something I would consider to start once I start getting growth that is not cheaply replaced with new frags (I.e. mini colonies and colonies). It makes the additional cost of the supplement more worth while at that point.

Will definitely be considering this in the future though!