AI Hydra

saamath

Premium Aquatics is pleased to announced the arrival of the all new AquaIllumination Hydra LED module! The Hydra combines the control of the AI Vega with the unmatched power of the AI SOL. Using a combination of Cree, Osram, SemiLED, and Edison LED's - including 400nm and 415nm diodes, we expect this to be one fantastic colored module!
Hydra's are in stock and ready to ship immediately!
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supply/AquaIllumination.html

RedDevil.258

So I am curious what are the difference in LED's between the Hydra and the Vega. I have a Sol that I want to upgrade and I am trying to decide which one to go with.

saamath

Above, in the lower picture and the accompanying legend, you can see the combination of LEDs that the Hydra carries.

The VEGA has two configurations:

Vega Blue
4 - Cree XM-L Cool White
8 - Cree XP-E Royal Blue
4 - Cree XP-E Blue
4 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Blue

Vega Color
4 - Cree XM-L Cool White
8 - Cree XP-E Royal Blue
2 - Cree XP-E Blue
2 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Blue
2 - Cree XP-E Green
2 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Red

saamath

Bear in mind that while previous models can be adapted to the 'power puck' driver system, the Hydra cannot. At this time, there are no plans to make the Hydra upgradeable, so it is basically a stand-alone unit in the AI lineup.

My speculation (and bear in mind that this is merely MY guess, based on trends I've noticed in the industry and the same rumors that anyone attending an industry show will hear) is that the Hydra is just the first of a new generation of AI models. I'm guessing (AGAIN - I am taking a completely uninformed shot in the dark here, I have NO KNOWLEDGE of AI's actual plans or intentions) the Hydra is the model they've chosen to spearhead a new AI controller platform at some point in the future. As lighting units become more evolved and complex, they already contain the precursors to controller language and compatibility... It's not too outrageous to think that the companies involved in their design would be able to generate complex system controllers, as well...

More of my opinion: Up until recently, lighting companies have been sort of at the mercy of the controller companies, required to tailor their fixtures to the protocols that the controller companies developed. Else, they'd find that their expensive, newly-released fixtures wouldn't work on the popular controller, essentially a death-knell to the longevity of the fixture. The lighting companies have begun to work around this stricture, with just such elements as the 'power puck' driver. There is not too far to go from a small driver to a larger, more comprehensive controller...

RedDevil.258

Intresting opinion! I belive that you may be on to something. I do also like the diffused lens idea to blend the colors better.