aiptasia eating file fish

zportell

whats everyone's thoughts about the aiptasia eating file fish? Are they hard to keep in the home reef tank? how well do they actually take care of the aiptasia? Do they eat Bubble tips? what do these things eat once the aiptasia is gone? I am looking to get one to contain a potential break out and I cant reach the blooms in the middle of the tank.

Also, same thing with the Aiptasia eating nudibranch... does it eventually eat btas?

superchargedgp

my file fish didn't do so well, but the nudibranch I used worked perfect. 7 of them cleaned the whole 60 gallon cube within 2 months. now they live of the little baby aiptesias that pop up

ColaAddict

the nudi's will only eat aptaisia. the file fishes are more risk because they might munch on other polyps in your tank (LPS/zoas/dendros/duncans/sps polyps) if hungry.

zportell

I picked up a Matted Filefish tonight from Aqua Pros. Mike was a great help. The new addition is just hanging out. He seems like he is holding onto a large shell with his mouth. Is this typical? Hopefully he is more "active" tomorrow. His tank mates will want to play with their new friend!

ghostman

My filefish destroyed my aiptasia and didn't eat any other livestock. I guess I got lucky with him. He eats pellets now. I had bad luck with the nudis, they got picked off by my wrasses before they even made it to the aiptasia. I like the idea of peppermint shrimp but they also would be a quick/expensive meal.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
I have had them a couple of times over the years. They ate the aiptasia, then moved to on to zoas and my maxi mini anemones. True peppermint shrimp are the best (IMO) for aiptasia removal.

zportell

well this is an unfortunate turn of events.. I bought the fish, he seemed just fine for 4 days. I was away from the tank for the weekend, came back sunday to find that he went swimming to Davey Jones' locker. Water parameters are perfect. No signs of being picked on when he was swimming. His tank mates are all friendly... Only sign of damage was when the crabs that started to make a meal of him. Anyone know what the fish policy is for AP? I am really bummed this happened!!!

WhiskeyClown

I had that combo recently , file fish and peppermint shrimp destroyed all the aiptasia it was fun to watch ! Now I'm selling the file fish he worked wonders trick is to not feed your tank and they will go to work , I was told this and it worked !