Algae help please

SkullV

PRAY that it's diatoms, but it looks like Dinoflagellates with those snot looking bubble strings. If it's diatoms reduce nutrients and it will go away. If it's Dino....I'm sorry.

poidog

Looks like dino. :( If its just on that one rock for now, turn of all the pumps, take it out, and chuck it!

Scottatmiles

Tank is about 8 months old only new additions came from Logan several weeks ago. I did just add a sump. The sand in the sump came from another set up I have after a quick rinse.

Scottatmiles

The corals from Logan aren't the issue as I have bought many from him and never had a problem. The rock how ever has came from couple sources. I agree it looks like the Dino crap. This blows

Scottatmiles

Also if it matters I have been seeing some cyno on the sand. I have added another power head and done 10% water change anything else.

poidog

Cyano is okay and can be controlled, but Dino is the devil incarnate. I've never seen cyano go as long stringy and boogery like in the photo, plus it is more red in color. That's why I'm saying Dino. Take out what you can... I'm not saying that you'll be safe from it, but you may get lucky if it's only on one rock and you remove it all with the rock.

mlreef

Looks like dino. :( If its just on that one rock for now, turn of all the pumps, take it out, and chuck it!
Question,

I've seen people take the rock out and then soak in bleach for a couple days and then scrub off the rock and then rinse with water and put the rock back into the system...

Could he do this?

mlreef

No idea. No one could predict that.
I totally agree. I was hoping to see if anyone has had success with soaking the rock in bleach for a couple days, or a muriatic acid bath?

Either way I think that it would kill off the dinoflagellates, but then again I have no evidence of this.

Scottatmiles

No I know the pic isn't cyno. And as far as it only being on one rock that's not the case. Its on several but only here and there and there isn't a ton. What do I watch for.