Alk from baking soda

tinman

So as per randys alk solution recipe using baking soda ..

I used arm and hammer brand baking soda found in walmart and baked 2.25 cups of it at 300F for about an hour

Then tried to mix it with rodi water to make a gallon of alk solution ..

Does this sound right ?

I have been mixing every mins for the last hour or so and there is still a lot of it unmixed and there are also some clumps of it formed .. Is this common ??

Sent from my iPhone

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Why are you baking? You have low PH? I've just used baking soda in RODI with no ill effect. Haven't done it for a while sink forget the measurement. I just got it off if a reef calculator (I think BRS).

tinman

Why are you baking? You have low PH? I've just used baking soda in RODI with no ill effect. Haven't done it for a while sink forget the measurement. I just got it off if a reef calculator (I think BRS).
well i found 2 recipes to make alk solutions and figured the baked one is more concentrated so i can use less of it ( escape from mixing it often haha)

Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

Once these two solutions are created, they can be added as frequently as necessary to maintain calcium and alkalinity. For further dosing instructions, see below.

Recipe #2, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). As mentioned earlier, Arm & Hammer is a fine brand of baking soda to use in these recipes. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

source --
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/#5

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Your doing it right. Just keep shaking the sucker. I left my container in hot water for a bit and then shook it.

nailbender

I usually heat my rodi in the microwave first. that seems to help.
plus i mix up 1/3rd, then add the next 1/3rd, etc. then let it sit overnight.

Miguel

I usually heat my rodi in the microwave first. that seems to help.
plus i mix up 1/3rd, then add the next 1/3rd, etc. then let it sit overnight.
Warming up the RO/DI water (solvent) will speed up dissolution of this or any inorganic salt like MgSO4 (solute). Just warm the water slightly no need for a roaring boil either :nono (2): and add the baking soda in parts as nailbender suggested and you will no longer experience that issue.

Paulip

If somebody can clear this up for me:

Sodium bicarbonate has carbon. => Sodium bicarbonate is a food source for bacteria. T or F? What is the difference between dosing ethanol/vodka?