Alkalinity results

DJE

So I performed all my test today and the only problem I have is with my Alk. I did the test with my Hanna Checker three times just to confirm I wasn't doing something wrong. The Checker read 112. 112*0.056=6.272

I have never dosed before the only thing I do is 20% water change every other week. I do have the BRS Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity. Can I start dosing Alkalinity by itself?

PH 8.3
Mag 1440
Cal 450
Alk 6.27

75 gal tank with ProFlex Sump/Refugium

ColaAddict

That's low! How's your tank looking. If it looks fine, maybe double check with a different tester. how stocked is your tank, if you have alot of stony corals, you should be dosing alk as that is what they use the most. It's safe to dose alk by itself. I actually use more alk than calc/mag. If you are gonna dose alk, bring up your alk slowly. You could also always do a water change to get alk up also, but most likely will need to dose.

ColaAddict

You should perform alk test more often until you figure out how much your corals use and how much to dose. Hanna get's expensive after awhile (with the reagent) You can use something cheaper like API, just to do daily checks until you figure your alk out.

DJE

Its a mixed reef nothing too fancy. All of my corals are happy and Im getting lots of growth from my montis,green slimer, and zoas. I check it again with an API kit and the results were the same. Thanks Nino I will give dosing a try over the weekend.