Alternating Gyre Mode

100LL

After owning a Gyre 150 for nearly a year, I recently learned that I had been using the alternating gyre mode incorrectly...

Multiple online resources incorrectly explain this feature of the pump and once I found out how it was suppose to work, it all made sense.

More specifically, I hadn't changed the rotors from how they originally came ("A" on the left and "B" on the right), and the problem is that the rotors only function correctly while turning in their intended/designed direction. As a result, both motors push 100% one direction and really don't work in the reverse direction and become almost useless half of the time.

In order to properly run in "alternating gyre" mode you need to switch one the rotors to either two "A" sides or two "B" sides. By doing this, each direction the pump runs gives one side the ability to pump it's full potential in opposite or different directions, whichever you choose.

If you are running a Gyre and looking to diversify your flow pattern give it a try and start experimenting.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I played around with this mode, but didn't like it because it essentially cuts the flow in half. Also, I don't want it pointing at my sandbed for obvious reasons.

100LL

I played around with this mode, but didn't like it because it essentially cuts the flow in half. Also, I don't want it pointing at my sandbed for obvious reasons.
Yeah, it does cut the one way flow in half, and it won't be for everybody, but with two xf150's in my 105gal system I had a major surplus of power. Im not done tinkering yet, but I currently have them on the back running alternating gyre with one pointed approx 20 degrees up and one 30 degrees down. I also have the downward "reverse" flow dialed way back (i.e. your sand comment)

I just thought I would share the options with the group.

xj_matt

Premium member
i tought about buying a gyre for my 37 gal but thought it would be over kill in my tank, but i do wanna get one for 105 when i get it done

Mjl714

I've got a couple 130's, and I'm just using the pulse mode, which I do really like nice smooth flow. How are you guys cleaning these things?

100LL

I've got a couple 130's, and I'm just using the pulse mode, which I do really like nice smooth flow. How are you guys cleaning these things?
Oh, nice. Do you have them placed on opposing ends of your tank?

As for cleaning, I fully disassemble and give it a vinegar bath and scrub "whenever they need it" or once every 4 to 6 weeks. Here's a link to the manufacturer recommended technique.

http://youtu.be/CRYrLjsv7lQ

Mjl714

One each on a 75g (I've got two 75's, one is FOWLR). They're Marineland RR, so I'm not sure an xf130 would fit on the overflow end.

Last edited:

Chetna

I use alternating on my 48" frag tank it is bare bottom so no sand to blow. It is also the 150 so I don't need all that power in one direction. Works perfect for me.