Alternative to Apex?

Mooney190

So I am looking for a electronic system to keep tabs on my tank parameters, but I'm not spending $600-$900 on an Apex system... Are there any cheaper options anybody has had success with?

GugsJr

TeamCR
I have both the 2016 Apex (running on my current reef) and a Reef Angel (currently on my turtle tank used to be on my reef)

The Reef Angel is what I started with and it works very well. Not as user friendly as the Apex but easy enough to use. What's nice about the Reef Angel is that it's less money up front. The only thing is that it doesn't come with everything the Apex does out of the box.

What you need to do is go to Reef Angels website and see what modules you want and add them together (they just came out with a new controller) The other key item you have to look at is what type of lighting you are using. If you are using LEDs what type are you using?

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Reef keeper. Been running mine for 5 years now.
What are you trying to do with the controller.
If you want some fancy interface then you need to spend the money.
All I need is heater control, turn off my skimmer when full, fuge light, and ph for calcium reactor + c02 regulator control.

#theMatrix

Theres used reefkeepers allllll over r2r. I started with reefkeeper lite. Then went to reef keeper elite so i can run more modules....and finally got apex. With what i spent on used controllers i could have gotten 2 apex.

Lesson learnt.

Eindecker

Just bought a apex Junior brand new month and a half a go. If I knew they were going to discontinue and not honor and fix the apex Jr I would have not purchase an apex Jr or anything Apex. Sounds like apex just lost my business!!

GugsJr

TeamCR
It's in on Neptune's website. Below is part of an email they sent me when I got my eb832 repaired

Please be sure to fill out and include the attached RMA form along with your Proof Of Purchase with your return. We no longer service APEX LITE as it has been discontinued. Failure to do so will result in the delay of processing your RMA for at least one day.

superchargedgp

Just bought a apex Junior brand new month and a half a go. If I knew they were going to discontinue and not honor and fix the apex Jr I would have not purchase an apex Jr or anything Apex. Sounds like apex just lost my business!!
Blame the seller not apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkhwkz

Premium member
It's in on Neptune's website. Below is part of an email they sent me when I got my eb832 repaired

Please be sure to fill out and include the attached RMA form along with your Proof Of Purchase with your return. We no longer service APEX LITE as it has been discontinued. Failure to do so will result in the delay of processing your RMA for at least one day.
Except the Apex Lite and the Apex Jr are not the same product. The Apex Lite came with a full EB8, the Jr comes with the 4 port. If you checked Neptune's website you would see they are different products and the Jr is not discontinued.

GugsJr

TeamCR
My fault, thought they were the same, which is why I payed the email. At least now everyone knows the facts

Peaches

Except the Apex Lite and the Apex Jr are not the same product. The Apex Lite came with a full EB8, the Jr comes with the 4 port. If you checked Neptune's website you would see they are different products and the Jr is not discontinued.
My bad i read it wrong too. I never even heard of a lite . So they must fix the eb8s but not the brain ?

Ah just googled the lite almost look the same . The brain i mean except its missing a extra ph port and light dimming port . Sorry for the bad info guys . I always assumed that there was just a jr and regular. And now that fancy one that looks like a router box .

Last edited:

gig em

I have both a reef keeper and an Apex. I think the apex has kept up with modern technology better and is more user friendly with more options, but my reef keeper has lasted a lot loner with fewer problems. I think of my RK as the dependable Jeep and my Apex as the fancy sports car that needs tuning and repairs from time to time.

Kamreefer

My bad i read it wrong too. I never even heard of a lite . So they must fix the eb8s but not the brain ?

Ah just googled the lite almost look the same . The brain i mean except its missing a extra ph port and light dimming port . Sorry for the bad info guys . I always assumed that there was just a jr and regular. And now that fancy one that looks like a router box .
So what about people that buy the apex classic off Bulk Reef Supply? Will they not repair any issues with the brain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro