Am I losing my poor clam

gaskitbass

He's responding fine and everything looks healthy.... except for the hole in the middle of the mantle. From what I was able to find they can heal on their own or be fatal. Anyone had any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaskitbass

He's responding fine and everything looks healthy.... except for the hole in the middle of the mantle. From what I was able to find they can heal on their own or be fatal. Anyone had any experience?

MMreef

Looks perfectly healthy to me, all clams have hole in their mantle . That's how the circulate water.

#theMatrix

Looks perfectly healthy to me, all clams have hole in their mantle . That's how the circulate water.
Theres and IN and an OUT. But his clams appears to have a middle hole. Seems some clams get this and either bounce back or die.

Yes the clams mantle does look healthy but that middle hole would scare me aswell.

MMreef

I just noticed the extra hole in the middle, before i only saw in and out. That hole is definitely something to be concerned about and not normal.

gaskitbass

U running gfo or carbon it sometimes effects clams negatively
No just a skimmer . Talked to the guy that has been importing them forever and says as was said above - definitely not good but some clams recover

I inadvertently introduced some large fireworms to my tank and my clam quickly developed a hole like that. And they killed it within few days. I think that's a physical injury. If you have something that's bothering the clam, it won't be able to heal. Good luck.