anemone sting

Herbie

Banned
I think they sting them constantly, the clown just doesn't notice or they can tolerate it. I think they do actually have to build up a resistance in some way though. Others will prbably have more science on that for you. . .

kratos1028

I see. I ask because I tried to get my clown to host my bubble tip and it didn't work and after that, I noticed sting marks on the clown.

Cubbies

If you look at clown when it first hostes the Nem or any coral for that you will notice black dots on the fish. It is from the nem/coral "stinging" them. I guess it's their way of bonding.

Tethered_Limbs

i thought i read somewhere that the clowns secrete a slime that trix the nem into thinkin the clown is just more nem flesh, so it doesn't sting it. this is after the initial stinging/build resistance

Navycook2

yeah a while ago my clown was covered in black spots and was still molesting the crap out of my nem he even sucks the tentacles!! hes crazy!!

kratos1028

Can you post a picture of the nem?

Its a regular rbta but I will post some pics up tomorrow. Opens to about 5" wide.

I didn't know they had to work up an immunity for an anemone. I thought they were naturally born with it. I feel much better now knowing that the stings are normal for clowns hosting anemones for the first time. Thanks!