Another fuge light gets dropped in the water.

100LL

Well I've done it again, last night marked the third time I've knocked a fuge light into the sump. (Varying types, models & types) I guess that leaves me looking for something a little more affordable from a local home-improvement store. I've researched in the past, but thought this would be a good chance to ask for recommendations... I'm all ears, thanks.

fredfish13

go to home depot and get the clip on light. believe it is under $10. then buy the plant bulb for under $10 as well. had mine for over 2 years and has not fallen in yet. my chaeto does well with bulb too.

100LL

Thanks Fred. That was my second one, which took a swim. My problem is mostly user error. I'll probably go that route again with a different style clip light.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I use a clamp light holder from the hardware store ($6) and a git a four pack of cfl bulbs (5000k) for around $4.

100LL

Thanks Victor. I'm going to pick something up on my way home tonight. I'm always torn between form and function but a $10 solution, I'm in for...

Fishbone

Don't feel to bad I dropped my whole brand new 10 bulb power module in the tank while I was hanging it a couple years ago. Fired the whole thing.

100LL

Thanks, [MENTION=1714]Fishbone[/MENTION]. Like you, I keep coming back after terrible mishaps... Specifically, after replacing my five setup with a budget replacement I discovered that a 100w equivalent CFl would overheat in a short 60 minutes and wasn't going to work so I had to run back for a 60w equivalent... I'm running it 18 hrs/day but most of my fuge is not handling the change well. :-(.

100LL

I bought huge 6500K bulbs from Amazon and converted a free Metal Halide fixture to the top of this shelf. The same could be done under a stand.

The bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058KJNPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The end result=massive macro algae growth and no more DT algae.

View attachment 6215
Nicely done!

350 watts of output per bulb... Holy Cow!

I always thought/ understood that you could have too much light for cheato algae. I guess not as yours appears rather healthy.

Drdavis

Premium member
Most of the growth happened over a short period of time. I had hair algae in the DT then added this light macro algae took off no more hair algae in the DT. I have to keep pushing it down in the water as well as it grows.

dkm

I've been having great luck with DIY veros. They're a little bit pricier than the cfl method, but they are cheaper to run overtime and produce way more light. Except for growing macro growth.

Drdavis

Premium member
If I can get that 55 gallon tank to be full I will be happy. There are a couple of guys doing the same thing up here in Wisconsin and they have great looking tanks. I messed around with some other methods first and have gotten back to having lots of macro algae.

wld1783

There is a product called LED Seal. It conformally coats LED making them almost water proof. NASA and Spec Ops uses something similar to coat their electronic equipment.

Some of the inexpensive bulbs at Home Depot do grow but their spectrum is not optimized for best growth.

Depending on Species of plant or Macro Algae we found a 1:1 Cree Warm White Cool White mix with some 450nm Royal Blue and 660 nm Red gave the best grow per watt.

Here is a Pic of a single DIY LED in my tank after coated with LED Seal

Bill

morleyz

I had this same problem as well when I was using home store clip on lights. Finally took a length of braided steel cable, looped it around the light, and then screwed it into the stand. When I knocked it off, it would swing from the cable (and usually burn me) instead of falling in.

I switched to a BuildMyLED fuge light with a suspension mount. Probably way too much money for what it is, but it solved a lot of problems.