Another new guy

Nxt

Hello everyone.

After have freshwater for years I decided to take a dive into the Saltwater hobby. Boy what a mistake I made not switching to salt years ago!

I thought freshwater was addicting, there is no comparison to the salt water addiction.

Tank Specs and Equipment:
59G with built-in overflow
20G Sump
Instant Ocean SeaClone Protein Skimmer (Just added, doesn't seem to be doing anything. Only been 5 days. odd?)
Hydor Koralia Evolution Pump 750
55-60Lbs of Live Rock
36' Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lamp High Output Fixture (two each 10,000K and Actinic)
Taam Rio (Rio+) Pump (Do not recall which model)

Livestock:
2x Clowns
2x Fire Dartfish
1x Yellowtail Damsel
1x Chocolate Chip Starfish
1x Coral Banded Shrimp
2x Turbo Snails
5x Various Crabs

Coral:
2 frags of Zoas
1 colony of Zoas
1 frag of Blasto

Tank has been setup for 4 months now, I kinda rushed putting stuff in. Only reason I did that was the local shop is closing and he gave me some amazing deals. (Example: I paid 85.00 for all my live rock)

My water chemistry is right on at the moment but I cannot seem to defeat this green algae and brown hair algae I keep getting.

The algae is messing with my Zoas, they haven't opened in about a week.

I really need to get more craps and snails. Just waiting for that good deal.

The next big purchase will be a RO/DI system. Still researching on which I want to get. Trying to decide between 2 that I have narrowed it down too.

I think its time to remove the bioballs as well. What should I replace them with?
LiveRock? Plants? Nothing?

These are just random pictures at the moment, you can see that the live rock varies in the pictures. This are also just cell phone pictures. My 2 year old thought it would be funny to "take" pictures with my digital camera, it doesn't work anymore

Suggestions? Comments? Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Cubbies

Welcome to Chicago Reefs! I'm sure you will enjoy it around here. As far as your skimmer goes it may still be breaking in. About your algae problems, what kind of water are you using and what is your lighting cycle? About your cuc, you probably want more of it but I would thing that with the 5 turbo you would've had enough for the algae, that is if it is ha. Try removing it by hand if it is and it's long and the turbos might go at it afterwards. Also check that it is hair algae not bryopsis. Also just for your info Chocolate Chip Starfish are NOT reef safe. They might have something to do with your zoas not opening up as well. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Pufferpunk

Choccoshop stars favorite food is coral. Get him out of there!

Your tank is too new to be adding any more corals. algae is a process of a new system.
31 most important thing you can do now is get an RODI. Bulk Reef Supply is the place to go & they are a sponsor here.

Get yourself a decent skimmer. A SeaCLOWN will not do for a 59g tank. 2-3 more powerheads are needed too. Great flow is more important than good lighting.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I think its time to remove the bioballs as well. What should I replace them with?
LiveRock? Plants? Nothing?
Yup, you'll want to get rid of the bioballs if you're planning on having a reef tank. Take out the shelves and the balls. You probably can't create a full-blown refugium with sand etc. due to the configuration (of most) wet/dry filters but you could certainly add some macro algae, like chaeto, and use a cheap clip-on light with a CFL (curly-cue) bulb to grow it out.

poidog

You need a ton more snails and crabs for you CUC. That could help with your algea which is probably being fueled by your water source if your not buying RO/DI water.

I looked up that skimmer and it looks to be very week and won't handle a full bioload. You may wany to think about upgrading as you progress.

:welcome2:

Nxt

Welcome to Chicago Reefs! I'm sure you will enjoy it around here. As far as your skimmer goes it may still be breaking in. About your algae problems, what kind of water are you using and what is your lighting cycle? About your cuc, you probably want more of it but I would thing that with the 5 turbo you would've had enough for the algae, that is if it is ha. Try removing it by hand if it is and it's long and the turbos might go at it afterwards. Also check that it is hair algae not bryopsis. Also just for your info Chocolate Chip Starfish are NOT reef safe. They might have something to do with your zoas not opening up as well. Looking forward to seeing you around!
Tap water -
Lighting - 8am-6pm 10K 8am-8pm Actinic

Well I had 5 turbo.. I have 2 left for some reason.

I know the starfish is not reef safe but he hasn't gone after any of the coral. I can still remove him though

Thanks!

poidog

Tap water
here is your problem. RO/DI water is not an optional assessory with reef tanks. If you don't have your own unit, buy it from your grocery store or from your LFS. You won't have any success controlling your problems while using tap.

Nxt

Choccoshop stars favorite food is coral. Get him out of there!

Your tank is too new to be adding any more corals. algae is a process of a new system.
31 most important thing you can do now is get an RODI. Bulk Reef Supply is the place to go & they are a sponsor here.

Get yourself a decent skimmer. A SeaCLOWN will not do for a 59g tank. 2-3 more powerheads are needed too. Great flow is more important than good lighting.
I was looking at the 200.00 75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage *PLUS* System

Not one bad review and seems to be an awesome kit for the the price.
The other kit is http://www.spectrapure.com/St_RODI-REFURB.htm

4 stage vs 5 stage + more

I got that skimmer for basically free so I just put it in the tank to see if it would help with anything.. I cannot buy a RO/DI system and a Protein Skimmer :)

I'll grab another powerhead, the current from the pump and other skimmer I had I figured would be enough. The zoas move a decent amount. They are just not opening.

Nxt

You need a ton more snails and crabs for you CUC. That could help with your algea which is probably being fueled by your water source if your not buying RO/DI water.

I looked up that skimmer and it looks to be very week and won't handle a full bioload. You may wany to think about upgrading as you progress.

:welcome2:
Thanks!

RO/DI is next on the list followed by a better skimmer!

I do plan on getting more snails and crabs.. I keep looking around to see who has the best deal. :heeeelllllooooo:

Nxt

Until I order a RO/DI unit, I didn't even think of it but I'll start getting water from the fridge as well. That has some filtration at least.

poidog

Until I order a RO/DI unit, I didn't even think of it but I'll start getting water from the fridge as well. That has some filtration at least.
Carbon filtration from the fridge will do nothing. You need to buy RO water or your RODI unit. PM navycook. He was given the same advice and his reef say major improvements almost immediately.

I hate that new folks getting into the hobby think using tap is okay.... It's not. Spending just a couple bucks for RO water a week will benefit your tank, and you, tremendously.

This is a great standard unit for under $200
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems/standard-ro-di-systems/75-gpd-ro-di-5-stage-standard-system.html

Nxt

I am only using Tap because I have too at the moment.

I have a work buddy that has good system that I'll be getting water from until I get a unit.

5 gallons at a time! haha

poidog

I am only using Tap because I have too at the moment.

I have a work buddy that has good system that I'll be getting water from until I get a unit.

5 gallons at a time! haha
Really, it's not an excuse. You have to use the right tools in this hobby or face big consequences. Also, one mistake can take months to undo (if ever).

That's great that your buddy can hook you up. 5g a time is fine, much better than tap. You will want to do some serious water changes over the next several weeks to remove the tap water from your system.

Great timing Thanks!

Should work just as good as the others l listed correct?
Yep, they all work the same. Your system is only as good as your filters and membrane. Remember you'll need to change your filters out 6-12 months. DI resin when it's exhausted, and RO membrane when your output decreases (about 3-5 yrs).

Keep up on good water quality and your tank will flourish!