Any electricans out there?

Joe5688

I just bought a new compressor for the house. I currently have a 220v 50a outlet on my wall. It wasn't needed for what i use it for but i figured i'd be better off going larger if i ever need it in the future. My new compressor pulls 18a. I bought a fused disconnect switch to add to my compressor. What I did was Wired the compressor the fused disconnect, and wired the disconnect to a 50a power cord & plug so i can use the 50a plug i still have in the wall.

I just put it all together and the pump seems to be struggling like it's not getting enough juice. Did i mess up somewhere? Does someone have a better idea than what I did? I didn't let it run longer than 5-10 seconds each time i tested it because i could tell it's not getting enough juice.

Here is a picture of how it's wired. It was kind of temp wired just to see if it worked. I used 8 gauge wire feeding from the outlet to the Switch, and 12g from the switch panel to the compressor. I was told when doing a breaker it's Amps of the motor X 1.2 which is 22a. Thats why i went with a 30a switch.

Any help is appreaciated

carpetreef75

Premium member
I just wired a 220 outlet this morning at the shop for a plasma cutter and everything was # 6 wire and 50 amp breakers,plug & outlet . that #12 seems like some light gauge for 220 especially the draw of a compressor starting .
Bryan

Joe5688

I just wired a 220 outlet this morning at the shop for a plasma cutter and everything was # 6 wire and 50 amp breakers,plug & outlet . that #12 seems like some light gauge for 220 especially the draw of a compressor starting .
Bryan
The compressor claims to pull 15a. If you look at the plate on the electric motor is says 17.6a.

The guy i bought it from had it on a 20a plug. It had 20' of 12g wire hard wired into the compressor and they ran it that way for 5 years. Something i gotta be doing has to be wrong lol

carpetreef75

Premium member
The compressor claims to pull 15a. If you look at the plate on the electric motor is says 17.6a.

The guy i bought it from had it on a 20a plug. It had 20' of 12g wire hard wired into the compressor and they ran it that way for 5 years. Something i gotta be doing has to be wrong lol
Were they using the old school screw in fuses or a regular square D breaker ? maybe your losing some power thru the bases of those glass fuses .did you try screwing them in tighter ..just for chits & giggles did you try wiring direct without fuses just to see if the compressor runs fine for a minute or 2
Bryan

taylor t

Does the motor have voltage taps? Maybe ask/verify the previous owner was using what voltage. Motor taps could be different, different voltage maybe? Giving good/accurate advice isn't going to happen over a computer screen, unfortunately. Too many variables come into play.

Joe5688

Were they using the old school screw in fuses or a regular square D breaker ? maybe your losing some power thru the bases of those glass fuses .did you try screwing them in tighter ..just for chits & giggles did you try wiring direct without fuses just to see if the compressor runs fine for a minute or 2
Bryan
They didnt have this 30a switch on it. They had it plug directly into a 20a outlet. I need to double check the fuses that they are full seated. Im gonna just swap my 50a breaker for a 30a and be done. Get rid of the switch all together

1jwampler

I just bought a new compressor for the house. I currently have a 220v 50a outlet on my wall. It wasn't needed for what i use it for but i figured i'd be better off going larger if i ever need it in the future. My new compressor pulls 18a. I bought a fused disconnect switch to add to my compressor. What I did was Wired the compressor the fused disconnect, and wired the disconnect to a 50a power cord & plug so i can use the 50a plug i still have in the wall.

I just put it all together and the pump seems to be struggling like it's not getting enough juice. Did i mess up somewhere? Does someone have a better idea than what I did? I didn't let it run longer than 5-10 seconds each time i tested it because i could tell it's not getting enough juice.

Here is a picture of how it's wired. It was kind of temp wired just to see if it worked. I used 8 gauge wire feeding from the outlet to the Switch, and 12g from the switch panel to the compressor. I was told when doing a breaker it's Amps of the motor X 1.2 which is 22a. Thats why i went with a 30a switch.

Any help is appreaciated

Wire color doesn't determine voltage, obviously electricity doesn't care what color the insulator is. This said, (your picture shows Black and White for your hots, and green for your ground) it is not standard practice to wire L1 or L2 in a 208/240v circuit using a white wire. Typical is L1=Black, L2=Red in single phase 208/240v and if you need Neutral than that is White. So, taking a guess (not saying you did), but, did you match color for color and connect the white wire to a lug in the main breaker/fuse panel that has other white wires going to it?

carpetreef75

Premium member
They didnt have this 30a switch on it. They had it plug directly into a 20a outlet. I need to double check the fuses that they are full seated. Im gonna just swap my 50a breaker for a 30a and be done. Get rid of the switch all together
So does she work ?
Happy Easter Bryan

Joe5688

Ended up being last year when i built my 240v extension cord i had it wired wrong in the plug head lol. Never used itt il now and as soon as i opened the head i saw the problem. Works great now haha