Any plant experts out there?

kratos1028

Anyone on here a plant expert? Need some help IDing a bonsai tree that I recently acquired. Will post pictures up later.

I am starting to get into bonsais and indoor plants in general but bonsais have really caught my attention. Here are a few pictures of the bonsai I got and would like an ID if anyone knows. I did trim it down because the brances were crazy long when I got it earlier today. My mom loves the smell of jasmine flowers so I am looking for the jasmine bonsai tree now.

IMG_6365 by imphoenix2007, on Flickr

IMG_6364 by imphoenix2007, on Flickr

IMG_6363 by imphoenix2007, on Flickr

IMG_6362 by imphoenix2007, on Flickr

IMG_6361 by imphoenix2007, on Flickr

certainly no expert, but if I had to guess I'd say you got yourself a fukien tea tree there. Carmona Microphylla. An excellent subject for a begginer or an expert. It could also be a Jasmine.
Couple important tips (disregard if you got a book, LOL)
When you prune, make sure you always cut 1/3 of the roots away and 2/3 of the greens. The top 2/3 of the soil needs to dry before you water again, but no more (sandy soil is best or mix a little gypsum with your potting mix). When you water, gently place the whole tree in a stopped up sink or a bin of some type with water in it. Keep it there until it stops bubbling and then remove to drain. Drainage is extremely important. The word bonsai just means "shallow tray". You're basically making life as tough as possible for the little dudes so they respond by miniaturizing their foliage and slowing their push upward. Man, is that opposite of reefing. . .

I've had OK luck with bonsai boy. Here's your Jasmine.

Be careful with tree selection. Some need to freeze in winter and no matter what Home Depot tries to tell you, you're just not going to be able to keep a juniper alive indoors. (I think everyone on earth has killed at least one "glued-gravel" juniper bonsai. Good thing there's no tang police in this hobby. We pour bleach right ON our plants sometimes and then brag about the results (Jin). I really wish you hadn't done this because now I'm going to get all obsessive about tiny trees again. Good luck and happy trimming.

Yep, Herbie hit the ID. I have one myself. Leaves and flowers are a dead giveaway.

Bonsai are in line with SPS for difficulty. Properly draining soil, lighting and air flow are all critical. Tropical species are much easier to keep indoors as they don't need a dormant cycle. All temperate conifers and decidious need a dormant period yearly. Keeping up with watering while they are dormant is a pain, so too is watering in extreme summer heat. There are tons of books out there to read.

Don't you think you sort of have to have an outdoor arboretum of some sort for any local or temperate species? A bury box alone is a pain. They're like sps that you have to bury in your back yard 3 months out of the year. Lol. Chicago botanic garden has an amazing collection. Many of which were donated by a good friend of mine who passed. Nothing cooler in plants than a tiny maple grove turning for the winter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

certainly no expert, but if I had to guess I'd say you got yourself a fukien tea tree there. Carmona Microphylla. An excellent subject for a begginer or an expert. It could also be a Jasmine.
Couple important tips (disregard if you got a book, LOL)
When you prune, make sure you always cut 1/3 of the roots away and 2/3 of the greens. The top 2/3 of the soil needs to dry before you water again, but no more (sandy soil is best or mix a little gypsum with your potting mix). When you water, gently place the whole tree in a stopped up sink or a bin of some type with water in it. Keep it there until it stops bubbling and then remove to drain. Drainage is extremely important. The word bonsai just means "shallow tray". You're basically making life as tough as possible for the little dudes so they respond by miniaturizing their foliage and slowing their push upward. Man, is that opposite of reefing. . .

I've had OK luck with bonsai boy. Here's your Jasmine.

Be careful with tree selection. Some need to freeze in winter and no matter what Home Depot tries to tell you, you're just not going to be able to keep a juniper alive indoors. (I think everyone on earth has killed at least one "glued-gravel" juniper bonsai. Good thing there's no tang police in this hobby. We pour bleach right ON our plants sometimes and then brag about the results (Jin). I really wish you hadn't done this because now I'm going to get all obsessive about tiny trees again. Good luck and happy trimming.

Thanks Herbie! I was told this is a boxwood? If it is a boxwood, I am going to return it because I have heard those guys like being outside and also like to have some time in winter temperatures. Do you know if the jasmine flowering bonsai tree are indoors? Not sure if that link you posted is a bonsai jasmine tree but this is what I was looking it, http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product4825.html.

I did read up online about pruning the leaves/branches but nothing yet on the roots or even how to water it the way you described. I was just going to water it like any other plant, pour water until it starts draining and then empty out the excess water from the tray.

Tiny trees are awesome! lol

Don't you think you sort of have to have an outdoor arboretum of some sort for any local or temperate species? A bury box alone is a pain. They're like sps that you have to bury in your back yard 3 months out of the year. Lol. Chicago botanic garden has an amazing collection. Many of which were donated by a good friend of mine who passed. Nothing cooler in plants than a tiny maple grove turning for the winter.

Agreed, an outdoor arboretum is a must as well as a wintering spot. I had a pallet table built on the patio for several years. I wintered them in the attached unheated garage. Eventually winter loss coupled with extreme summer heat (excess evaporation) claimed too many and I stopped outdoor species.

Also the national arboretum in DC has some awesome bonasi. Epic to walk around and see the age of them, realizing how many thousands of hours they have required.

One thing to invest in is a decent set of tools. No need to go stainless, blued steel chinese cheapies will work find if you keep them oiled. Root cutters, branch cutters, leave scissors, and a chop stick. You might want to research soil. It's much cheaper to make your own vs buying it premade. I use pitchers mound baked clay mixed with pine bark, peat moss and a little dirt.

One thing to invest in is a decent set of tools. No need to go stainless, blued steel chinese cheapies will work find if you keep them oiled. Root cutters, branch cutters, leave scissors, and a chop stick. You might want to research soil. It's much cheaper to make your own vs buying it premade. I use pitchers mound baked clay mixed with pine bark, peat moss and a little dirt.

Not sure what kind of soil its in now but its whatever they had it in at home depot. I do see chipped bark in it.

It looks like a potting soil and tree bark combo. A compromise between drainage and moisture retention, favoring water retention. It'll allow for less frequent watering but a greater chance of overwatering. I've found watering is the critical factor in long term success, it's too easy to get busy and miss a day. Poof, years of work gone.

The tree may or may not be root bound. Typically grow houses give far less than optimal care, they are more interested in quantity. Every 1-2 years bonsai need to have their roots trained, it varies on species. Depending on how bound they are, it can take a 2 or more repotting cycles to get the ball under control. When repotting it is far cheaper to make your own soil vs buying stuff from online bonsai houses. There are hundreds of forum thread on which soil each grower prefers. Fast draining media in shallow pots will require watering daily or twice daily. Slower draining can allow nasties to grow in the media allowing for root rot. Just like reefing, bonsai growers have widly varing methods with varied success rates. You've lots of reading ahead of you but a very rewarding hobby.

Oh, and get mealy bug/mite soap now. Little white fuzzies on/under the leaves, little fruit fly looking things or spider mites. All are household pests you will almost certainly get if you grow tropical species inside. I've found a 50/50 mix of 91% rubbing alcohol and insect soap to be my favorite.

Back