Anyone ever see asterina starfish for sale?

Greg

Just wondering, anyone ever see asterina starfish (the tiny ones) for sale?
Online or local, doesnt matter.

Smitty

Premium member
I've never seen them for sale, maybe because they're so common as a hitchhiker. I have a bunch if you ever need some.

Greg

Well, right now I am trying to determine the exact asterina starfish species that eats coralline algae. This is the one I need.
There are many species of asterina, but I cant find much help on identifying the species that eats coralline.
Some eat corals, even sps (apparently), so I have to be sure before I add them.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Greg,

So if I see them on coralline.. These are the ones you want? I always see them on my glass and rock work. Just hard to tell if they are eating or just getting a sun tan :cool: Will try to get a good picture for you to ID

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Well, right now I am trying to determine the exact asterina starfish species that eats coralline algae. This is the one I need.
There are many species of asterina, but I cant find much help on identifying the species that eats coralline.
Some eat corals, even sps (apparently), so I have to be sure before I add them.
Greg, I don't know the precise specicies but you are certainbly welcome to mine. They eat coraline and do a great job at it. Mine are never anywhere near my sps but they have on rare occasion eaten palys. They are safe w/ zoas though.

Greg

Eric how many do you have?
(Might be how many can you grab? :p)

I still debating whether to add them or not. Im wondering how many it would take to completely erradicate coralline from all my liverock in my 120. I've read it is possible. Many people have had these guys decimate coralline algae in their tanks.
Once the coralline is gone i hear they may eat palys/zoas.

Herbie

Banned
can I ask why you don't want coraline? I've been under the impression it is a "good" thing, but frankly I don't really like the way it looks. Is it an aesthetic thing for you?

Greg

People usually qualify it as a good thing because it means you have good calc/alk/mag/lighting. Pretty much means that you have a tank that can support stony corals very well.
Many people also like the way it looks. It grows flat, looks nice, and does not cover coral tiissue.

Personally, I like the way it looks when you have liverock randomly covered in all different kinds of coralline. However, it doesnt look as nice when its 100% covering the rock and a solid light pink. I just want to be able to keep it in check. I like the look when coralline only covers 30-40% of the rock in random patterns with different coralline types.

Mainly I do not want it because it grows on the tank walls and bottom (mine is bare bottom), and it is harder to remove on acrylic without scratching. Once it reaches critical mass in a tank, its there to stay and can become a pain. You can scrape it off the glass every day, but you arent going to make any advancement in the fight because you are scraping off thousands of flakes of coralline that will eventually just settle somewhere else and start over.
This is what I am trying to avoid. If possible.
I tried to buy base rock in my previous 75, but in no time the coralline took over the whole tank. Even if I missed a little bit on a few frag plugs, it took over.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Eric how many do you have?
(Might be how many can you grab? :p)

I still debating whether to add them or not. Im wondering how many it would take to completely erradicate coralline from all my liverock in my 120. I've read it is possible. Many people have had these guys decimate coralline algae in their tanks.
Once the coralline is gone i hear they may eat palys/zoas.
I'm sure I could round up a couple dozen. I'm sure they'll multiple fast with an abundant food source. Let me know if you decide to go that route.

Tethered_Limbs

they will definately eat paly/zoas if they are weaker, but if they are strong there shouldnt be a problem. i had the same problem, mine never ran out of coraline tho

madjoe

Premium member
This thread is backwards. Stars good coraline algae bad? Lol i work so hard to get it to grow and keep those stars at reasonable numbers and u want the stars to grow and algae to disappear. Im in a bad dream hope i wake up soon lol u guys r nuts

roilciuc

Why don't you buy a small long spined sea urchin. It will eat all the coralline algae you have. It gets annoying when it knocks everything over though so make sure your frags are secure. I just gave away both of mine because they got huge and ate all the coralline. If you hate the stars just get a harlequin shrimp. Once all the stars are out you'll have to give it away or start buying stars for it to eat.

Tgunz127

I have a bunch too that I'd be happy to give u ... I throw them out when I find them but I have a ton on my back wall always on the coraline ... Who knows if they are eating it or not tho .. Pm me if u want them